Arsenal 0-0 Olympiakos: Gunners held to a goalless draw in the NextGen Series

The north London youngsters played out a drab first half with their Greek counterparts, but could have won it in the second half after spurning multiple chances

Arsenal were held to a 0-0 draw at home by Olympiakos in the NextGen Series as both sides failed to take their chances late on as the hosts moved to second in Group Six.

The first half lacked quality and, though there was definite improvement after the break, both teams were wasteful in front of goal with the Gunners coming closest to breaking the deadlock when Jon Toral hit the post.

The first chance for either team came after a blocked shot from Nikos Ioannidis went for a corner, from which Konstantinos Rougkalas couldn't get any purchase on a header that went high and wide.

The Gunners' first moment of note came in the 17th minute when Serge Gnabry struggled past a challenge to go through on goal wide on the left, but he dragged his shot wide.

Olympiakos looked dominant in the early stages as sloppy free kicks from the hosts allowed some dangerous set-pieces, with left-back Charalampos Lykogiannis seeing an effort deflected wide before whipping in a corner that keeper Reice Charles-Cook could only gather at the second attempt.

However, with five minutes to go until half-time, Arsenal had their best chance to date when Toral’s volley from a rebounded Gnabry free kick fizzed past the post.

While the Gunners grew in the game as the half wore on - with Kristoffer Olsson impressing in particular - it was a struggle to find a final ball; something both sides were suffering from.

The second half started positively for the Gunners, although left-back Martin Angha was forced off for some treatment for a bloody nose in the first five minutes.

An intelligent quick free kick by Arsenal almost opened the scoring, with Toral being played through on goal, but his chipped effort rebounded off the post and was cleared.

And, minutes later, after robbing Dimitrios Voutsiotis of the ball, Thomas Eisfeld stormed up field and played in Chuba Akpom, but the striker's effort on the stretch flew over.

Olympiakos then went close after they were gifted a corner by Alfred Mugabo. A deep cross into the box was met by Ioannidis, but his volley was blocked before Charles-Cook got a good hand to palm it away, and the Gunners eventually cleared following a goal-mouth scramble.

Arsenal were the next side to threaten, capitalising on an injury for left back Lykogiannis to break, with Gnabry playing a through ball for Akpom, but the striker was just beaten to the ball by keeper Aristeidis Vlachos in his first real action of the night.

The Gunners continued to press, and substitute Isaac Hayden had an effort, stooping to head an effort at goal, that brought out a cat-like reflex save from Vlachos. Gnabry followed up with a drive from 25 yards, but it flew high and wide again.

But, the game finished goalless as the Gunners moved into second position in Group Six, while Olympiakos moved into top spot having played a game more than both Arsenal and Marseille, and two more than Athletic.