Republic of Ireland - Uruguay Preview: Giovanni Trapattoni's men aiming for first ever win against South Americans
Under-strength and injury-hit hosts take on 2010 World Cup semi-finalists Uruguay at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin
|Republic of Ireland: Westwood; Foley, O'Dea, Kelly, Clarke; Lawrence, Fahey, Green, McCarthy, Keogh; Keane.
| Uruguay: Muslera; M. Pereira, Godin, A. Pereira, Caceres; Victorino, Perez, Gargano, Arevalo; Forlan, Cavani.
- Stephen Kelly will captain Ireland despite not having played for club or country since November.
- Ireland have never beaten Tuesday's visitors. They have met twice, in 1974 and 1986, with the first game ending in a 2-0 defeat and the second 1-1.
- James McCarthy will make his first start as a full international for after participating in his first competitive match for the country against Macedonia last Saturday.
- Despite having rose one place in the latest Fifa rankings, Ireland still languish 24 places behind their South American counterparts.
- Uruguay have played a solitary friendly so far this year, which was a 2-0 defeat to Estonia.
- Uruguay's last victory was a 4-0 win against China back in October 2010.
- Diego Forlan is just 2 goals behind his country's all-time record goalscorer Hector Scarone who scored 31 international goals.
Our provides the best breaking news online and our football fan community is unmatched worldwide. Never miss a thing again!