Pre-season round-up: Graham nets hat-trick as Swansea cruise past Blackpool, while Fulham and West Brom pick up wins

Michael Laudrup took control of his first match at the Liberty Stadium as the Swans eased to victory over Ian Holloway's side, while Norwich were held away to Hull City

Swansea 4-2 Blackpool

Swansea cruised to a comfortable 4-2 win over Championship side Blackpool on Tuesday night, in Michael Laudrup’s first game in charge at the Liberty Stadium.

It took Laudrup’s side barely a minute to open the scoring as Danny Graham pounced on Barry Ferguson’s lazy back-pass before knocking the ball past Matt Gilks in goal and slotting into an empty net.

About quarter-of-an-hour later the Swans had their second as Graham found new signing Michu in a dangerous position, and the former Rayo Vallecano man easily placed the ball past Gilks and into the net.

Blackpool got themselves back into the contest when Ludovic Sylvestre hit a powerful strike into the roof of the net after Swansea’s attempt to clear danger was poor, but the two-goal lead was soon restored.

Nathan Dyer produced some lovely footwork just inside the area before knocking the ball into the danger area where Graham was on hand to find the goal with ease.

Dyer was involved again 15 minutes after halftime when the winger beat Stephen Crainey and shot on goal, but Gilks could only parry his effort straight to Graham who made no mistake in completing his hat-trick.

Blackpool again pulled a goal back with ten minutes to go as Thomas Ince was brought down in the penalty area, with the former Liverpool man and son of Paul Ince stepping up to score the spot-kick himself.


 Walsall 0-2 West Brom 

West Brom picked up a 2-0 win away to Walsall in their latest pre-season friendly on Tuesday night, although they made hard work of it.

The opening stages of the match were fairly even as Yassine El-Ghanassy fired a free-kick into the side-netting for West Brom, while Florent Cuvelier saw a dangerous cross evade several team-mates, but it was the Premier League side who took the lead.

Fifteen minutes in Marc-Antoine Fortune saw a strike blocked behind for a corner, and from that set-piece Craig Dawson nodded the ball in for Steve Clarke’s side.

In the closing stages of the first-half the Saddlers had a decent effort as Will Grigg was played through on goal by Cuvelier, but Boaz Myhill did well to smother his effort.

Chances were few and far between just after the break, but former Manchester United striker Febian Brandy nodded just wide for the Saddlers before West Brom doubled their lead after 61 minutes.

Albion substitute Saido Berahino latched on to an excellent ball from the midfield and confidently finished when one-on-one.

The hosts had a great chance to get back into the match ten minutes when the lively Brandy stormed into the area before be brought down, but the forward’s penalty was palmed away by Myhill.


 Hull City 0-0 Norwich City

Norwich City were held to a 0-0 draw against Championship side Hull City, as the Tigers’ pre-season preparations come to a conclusion.

Grant Holt had the first chance of the evening as he headed Robert Snodgrass’ right-wing cross over from close range, but the forward should have hit the target.

The hosts soon had their own good chance as Robert Koren’s excellent free-kick was nearly turned in by Abdoulaye Faye and Nick Proschwitz, but neither could quite connect with the delivery.

Snodgrass, who was getting a fair amount of attention from the stands due to his Leeds United past, went very close after 22 minutes as he stroked a curling shot past the far post, and although Proschwitz had a good effort, Norwich controlled the rest of the opening period.

After half time, Norwich continued to have the better of the match as Russell Martin had a header palmed over by Manchester United-owned goalkeeper Ben Amos.

Hull came back into the match as it progressed, with Proschwitz and Aaron McLean both going close, the latter seeing a volley go just over the bar from 25 yards, but clear-cut opportunities were rare for both sides.

The Premier League side made a raft of changes halfway through the second period, disrupting the play a great deal and neither side was able to open the scoring as the match ended goalless.


 MK Dons 0-1 Fulham

League One side MK Dons put in a battling performance against Fulham, but still slumped to a 1-0 defeat with Hugo Rodallega scoring the only goal.

The match itself took a while to get going, but the hosts controlled much of the possession in the early stages, even if chances were a rarity.

Charlie MacDonald had a speculative shot blocked by a defender in the penalty area, and down the other end Steve Sidwell had a go from range, but his strike sailed comfortably over the bar.

Marcello Trotta forced the first save of the evening after tricking his way throught the Dons’ defence, but David Martin in goal got his right leg in the way.

David Stockdale in the Fulham goal was called into action in the 25th minute when Jay O’Shea pounced on good work by Luke Chadwick, but the keeper made an easy stop.

Dons had another good chance a few minutes later as Adam Chicksen cut the ball back to Darren Potter, but again Stockdale saved comfortably.

The second period continued to see little goalmouth action, but Rodallega saw a free-kick go narrowly wide, however the hosts soon had themselves a penalty.

Ryan Lowe played Chadwick into the area and the former United man was brought down by Stockdale, but Shaun Williams fire the kick wide.

Fulham punished that penalty miss with ten minutes to go as Rodallega knocked in from close range after Zdenek Grygera’s shot was blocked and the visitors held on to the win.