Pre-season round-up: Aston Villa, West Ham & West Brom all struggle

All three Premier League sides failed to win in friendlies away to Championship opposition, with the Villans and Hammers falling to defeat and the Baggies being held to a draw

Nottingham Forest 3-1 Aston Villa

Aston Villa slumped to defeat at the City Ground, although they thought they had taken the lead in the first half but the referee spotted an infringement after Ciaran Clark headed in Barry Bannan’s free-kick.

Charles N’Zogbia and Nathan Delfouneso were the pick of the players for the visitors with striker Darren Bent making his first appearance of pre-season in the second half, coming off the bench to loud cheers from the travelling fans.

The deadlock was eventually broken by substitute Lewis McGugan who rifled in an effort from the edge of the area.

Villa's reply came immediately after via a brilliantly curled free-kick from Barry Bannan from 25 yards out.

Marcus Tudgay restored Forest's lead late on with the goal of the game. The striker tricked his way into the box before slotting coolly past a helpless Brad Guzan.

The home side's victory was rounded off with a low free-kick driven past Guzan from McGugan as Nottingham Forest sealed victory.


Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 West Brom

The hosts went a goal up when Nejc Pecnik’s attempted cross looped off Youssouf Mulumbu’s head giving Ben Foster no chance of keeping it out.

The Baggies rarely threatened to get back in the match in the second half with a number of substitutions made by Steve Clarke interrupting any rhythm the visitors were able to create.

A forgettable performance by West Brom was salvaged by a late goal from Peter Odemwingie. The Nigerian capitalised on some poor defending by the hosts and calmly beat the keeper to give the travelling Baggies' fans something to shout about.

Ipswich Town 3-1 West Ham United

Michael Chopra gave the hosts the lead from the penalty spot after a quarter of an hour, following Gary O’Neil’s clumsy challenge on Lee Martin.

Ipswich doubled their lead through Luke Chambers who rose highest to meet Martin’s free-kick at the far post and directed his header back across Jussi Jaaskelainen into the corner of the net.

Matt Taylor got the Hammers back into the match with a left-footed shot from 25 yards out which went in off the post. Taylor came close again moments later but could not grab the equaliser with a late header.

However, just as West Ham looked as if they would get back on terms, the hosts went down the other end and Jason Scotland curled home a fine strike into the far corner after being found by Moncur.