The Uruguay international says that Fifa's punishment of the Barcelona striker was unfair and praises his former side, Atletico Madrid, for their league triumph last term
The Catalan giants completed the €88 million (£70m) signing of Suarez from Liverpool earlier this summer despite the striker being banned from all football-related activities for four months.
Suarez was suspended by Fifa after he bit Italy defender, Giorgio Chiellini, during a World Cup match in Brazil. On Thursday, the Court of Arbitration for Sport relaxed the restrictions of the punishment, which had also banned the forward from training with his Barcelona team-mates, following an appeal by the player.
While Forlan agrees that Suarez had to be punished for his actions, he believes that Fifa's insistence on preventing the 27-year-old from training with his new colleagues was unfair.
When asked if Fifa’s punishment had been excessive, Forlan told Marca: "Too much. It was excessive. It had to happen but I do not understand that he could not train with peers or go to stadiums."
He added: "The signing [of Suarez] is amazing for what it is. He comes at a time of change at Barcelona but he knows it's a great institution. It will be very nice to see him there."
Forlan also spoke of the success of his former club, Atletico Madrid, last term after Los Rojiblancos won the Primera Liga title for the first time in 18 years before narrowly losing the Champions League final to rivals Real Madrid.
"It is spectacular. It is not a miracle - it's the work of years," the 35-year-old enthused.
"What happened last season was not a surprise to me. You could see they were very good as the months went by. I was glad when they won the league."