The Tottenham manager refused to speculate on the Wales star's future, claiming some in the media are 'inventing' false stories about a potential £100 million bid from Real Madrid
Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas refused to be drawn on speculation regarding the future of winger Gareth Bale, with Real Madrid rumoured to be preparing a world-record bid for the Spurs star's services.
Speaking his side's 1-1 friendly draw with Espanyol on Saturday, the Portuguese boss reiterated the club's stance that the player's absence is down to an injury, with Bale finally back in training after missing most of pre-season so far.
The 24-year-old has been linked with a £100 million move to Los Blancos throughout the transfer window, but Villas-Boas insisted that he would not comment on "invented" stories by the media.
|TRANSFER/CLUB LATEST/GOAL 50
|2/1||Tottenham are 2/1 to finish in the top four of the Premier League in 2013/14
"The only thing I can say about the stories is I am not going to comment because everybody has speculated a lot," he told reporters.
"There are some different stories, some which are not true, with people inventing without knowledge of what is going on.
"The only thing I can tell you is the player is under the treatment of the medical department for this pain in the foot which is disturbing him.
"He has been called up for his national team (a friendly match with the Republic of Ireland on Wednesday), our medical department is going to be in contact with the Wales medical department to make sure they have everything available in terms of giving information on how the player has been doing in these last weeks.
"Regarding the speculation, I don't want to extend myself further than I have told you."
Bale won both the PFA Player and Young Player of the Year awards last season as Tottenham finished fifth, missing out on a Champions League qualifying place to rivals Arsenal to intensify speculation over the winger's futre.