thumbnail Hello,

The New Jersey-born forward admits "anything can happen in football" but admits that it would take a big offer for him to quite the Yellow Submarines

Villarreal forward Giuseppe Rossi has shelved talk of a summer move to Barcelona for now, but admits his future will be decided next week.

Rossi has been strongly linked with a move to Barca in recent weeks and would reportedly cost the Catalans up to €35 million (£30.5m).

A part-exchange move with Barca youngster Bojan Krkic going the other way has also been mooted, and such a deal could reduce the fee to less than €20m (£17.4m).

Rossi admits he is flattered by the reported interest from Barcelona and other top European sides.

“It’s special when you hear people like [Inter president Massimo] Moratti speak highly of you, or when you hear people talk about interest from Barcelona or other great clubs,” the striker told reporters on Friday.

The 24-year-old says he is concentrating on tonight’s Primera Division match against Osasuna (Villarreal's last game of the season), but admits he will think about his future next week.

“I haven’t spoken to my agent, but I’ll do so at the end of the season,” he said.

“At the moment I am just focused on the game against Osasuna.”

A move appears on the cards, however, especially with Barca looking for a forward that is comfortable playing in a number of positions up front.

Rossi, though, says it would take a big offer to tempt Villarreal into selling and claims he would also be happy to stay at El Madrigal.

“Anything can happen in football, but I renewed my contract not long ago and there aren’t many clubs bigger than Villarreal,” he said.

“If I were to leave, it would take a big offer.”

Rossi’s agent, Andrea Pastorello, said recently that €30m (£26.1m) could be enough and claimed a move to Barca would represent a dream for his client.

“Today, for a 24-year-old striker of his quality, you are looking at no less than €30 million,” he told the Mediterraneo newspaper earlier this month.

“As for Barcelona, obviously it would be the maximum.”

Reports in the Spanish media on Saturday claim Barcelona are closing in on Rossi.

Sport say the striker is one of four players targeted by Barca for next season, with a defender, a midfielder and a wide player the other three priorities.

Marca also say Barca are pushing to sign the former Manchester United forward, while Cadena SER claim a four-year deal has already been agreed between the two clubs.

Rossi is currently ranked at No. 47 in the Castrol EDGE Rankings, a fall of 25 places since the start of the year where he sat at No.22.

Our  provides the best breaking news online and our  football fan community is unmatched worldwide. Never miss a thing again!

Related

From the web