Sao Paulo are demanding close to £32 million for their in-demand attacking midfielder, but the Serie A side's supremo seems unwilling to spend such a sum on a 19-year-oldInter president Massimo Moratti has admitted that the club remain keen on signing Lucas Moura, but has hinted that they are not prepared to be held to ransom by Sao Paulo.
The Serie A club first tried to sign the Brazil international during the January transfer window but had an offer of €18 million (£14m) rejected.
Since then, though, Manchester United have entered the race to sign the teenage sensation and Sao Paulo's asking price has now swelled to close to €40m (£32m).
With Inter sporting director Marco Branca currently in Brazil, Moratti did not deny that the Italian giants are still hoping to land Lucas, but he intimated that they will not break the bank for the 19-year-old.
"Holding an interest doesn't mean you're willing to accept certain terms," the supremo told Sky Sport24. "Branca's not there to finalise anything. The situation is ongoing. We'll see."
Meanwhile, Inter announced on Wednesday evening that China Railway had agreed to co-fund the construction of a new stadium, but while Moratti is delighted with the deal, he explained that there is still much work to be done in terms of the club's planned relocation.
"It's now a tangible project with a highly qualified partner - the biggest company in the world in this sector considering the experience they have - but we still have everything to do," he said.
"Now we must find the right location, see what can be done and in a few years' time the fans will have their own home."
Inter currently share the council-owned Giuseppe Meazza stadium with city rivals AC Milan.