thumbnail Hello,

The experienced striker said that he does not know what he will do in the future and revealed that this has been the most difficult period of his career

Alessandro Del Piero has admitted that he did not expect Juventus to refuse to grant him a contract extension.

The 37-year-old is entering the final two months of his deal with the Bianconeri and just made his 700th appearance in the 2-1 victory against Lazio last week.

Juve president Andrea Agnelli stated in October that this would be Del Piero's final season at the club, and the Italian admitted that he did not expect to hear those words from the Bianconeri supremo.

"Angelli's remarks surprised me," he said in an interview with Vanity Fair, which will be published on Wednesday. "But a captain must never forget his duties and what he represents.

"Juventus are committed to winning the Scudetto and Coppa Italia. There is no need for controversy, which has never been present in my career."

The former Italy international has only made six competitive starts this season, and confessed that he had a hard time getting used to the idea that he was losing his place in the team.

"This has been the most difficult season of my life, because I have been faced with a reality that I had not known: playing little or not much at all," Del Piero added.

"No one thinks they deserve to be excluded, and while I have always thought that if someone is playing instead of you, it is because they deserve it, this does not mean giving up fighting for a place."

A move to Major League Soccer (MLS) has been suggested as a strong possibility, but Del Piero said his future is still up in the air.

"I will be without a contract on June 30," he said. "I cannot imagine my future, it is a huge change and it scares me a little bit, because it is like leaving your home a second time.

"But I will live this challenge as I did when I was playing a video game as a kid - this is a new level to overcome."