DFB-Pokal Round 1 Results: Dortmund, Schalke & Gladbach advance

The last two winners of the competition have secured a passage to the second stage, but Werder Bremen, Hamburg and Hoffenheim were all giant-killing victims


Round 1 Results


Current holders Borussia Dortmund began their title defence with a routine 3-0 win over Regionalliga Oberneuland.

It took just 10 minutes for Jurgen Klopp's side to storm into the lead, with Marco Reus taking a deft Robert Lewandowski flick around the goalkeeper, and finishing with ease, to net his first Dortmund goal. Jakub Blaszczykowski doubled the lead with an emphatic finish after some slack defending.

Ivan Perisic rounded off the victory with a clinical third, after making a great run off the left wing, and BVB were the ones to progress to the next round.
Borussia Monchengladbach, who suffered penalty shoot-out heartbreak in the semi-finals of last year's competition, got their campaign under way with a 2-0 victory against fellow North Rhine-Westphalia outfit Alemannia Aachen.

Marc-Andre ter Stegen was called into action to deny Timmy Thiele as the third-tier side looked to get off to the perfect start, and were able to frustrate their illustrious opponents for much of the match. However, their resistance was finally broken when Luuk de Jong and Juan Arango exchanged passes, with the Venezuelan tapping home from close range.

With full-time looming the hosts poured men forward and Gladbach were able to take advantage as Arango sent a cross-field ball to Havard Nordtveit, who kept his cool to ensure victory.
Fourth-tier outfit Berliner Ankaraspor pulled off the result of the round by beating ambitious Bundesliga outfit Hoffenheim 4-0 in the German capital.

Metin Cakmak
got the hosts off to a perfect start after just three minutes, with a spectacular looping effort from the edge of the box, after Hoffenheim failed to clear a free kick. The minnows subjected Markus Babbel's men to heavy pressure and Justin Gerlach eventually doubled his side's unlikely lead , after running clear of the static visitors' defence.

Kevin Kruschke made it 3-0 before half-time when he speeding clear and guiding a shot under Tim Wiese, and Cakmak rounded off a memorable victory after the former Germany goalkeeper gifted him possession with an awful goal kick.


There were no such difficulties for Bayer Leverkusen, however, who picked up an easy victory against Carl Zeiss Jena in Thuringia.

It took just three minutes for the Rhine giants to take the lead, with Karim Bellarabi picking up possession after a scramble on the edge of the box and laying it off to Simon Rolfes, who slammed the ball home. Ballarabi himself grabbed the second goal with a 35-yard shot that flew past the bewildered goalkeeper, and Andre Schurrle almost made it three with a shot that rattled the crossbar.

Stefan Kiessling made it 4-0 after rounding the goalkeeper and an easy victory was complete when Junior Fernandes tapped home a rebound from close range.


Stuttgart, who were knocked out on the quarter-final stage last season, sealed their route to the second round with an emphatic 5-0 win over sixth-tier Falkensee-Finkenkrug

Vedad Ibisevic got proceedings started with a close-range tap-in after the goalkeeper parried a header, and Martin Harnik, who had missed a string of earlier chances, made it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time.

grabbed his second after the break, with a flying header at the far post, and Tunay Torun notched his first goal for the club after some good work from Cacau on the left wing. The Turkey international then turned provider, sliding the ball to Shinji Okazaki to roll the ball home to round off proceedings.
Wolfsburg breezed into the Second Round with a comprehensive victory 5-0 win over seventh tier Schonberg.

The visitors seized control from the first whistle and a first-half double from Ivica Olic, followed by a 43rd minute Diego Ribas strike, ended the tie as a contest by half-time.

Bas Dost made it 4-0 on 66 minutes and Olic completed his hat-trick and the scoring, with 22 minutes remaining.

Schalke, the winners of this competition in 2011, got their bid to win back their title started in the grand manner, thrashing Saarbrucken 5-0.

Kyriakos Papadopoulos got the goalscoring started mid-way through the first half, and just minutes later, Julian Draxler doubled his side's advantage. Draxler added a third just after half-time, and Cprian Marica rose from the bench to net a further two goals and get his season off to an ideal first campaign at the Veltins Arena.

Schalke's victory ensures that three of last season's top-four Bundesliga clubs have qualified for the second round, with Bayern Munich's fixture to follow on Monday.
Another top-flight team who suffered a shock exit was Humburg, who crashed to a 4-2 defeat against Karlsruher.

Thorsten Fink's men got off to a good start, with Markus Berg firing them into a first-half lead on the 23 minutes mark, but they were soon pegged back by a Koen van der Biezen equaliser. However, on his return to the club after a loan spell at Dusseldorf last term, Maximilian Beister earned the visitors a half-time lead

After the break, though, the hosts fought back, and eventually got an equaliser through Selcuk Alibaz. Martin Stoll edged his side ahead with just 12 minutes left, and Elia Soriano rounded off the win late on.
However, another Bundesliga side, Hannover, did not slip up against their lower-league opponents, thrashing Nottingen 6-1 away from home.

Two Sergio Pinto strikes mid-way through the first half gave Mirko Slomka's side a commanding advantage, and a Leon Andersen strike moments after the break looked to have made the game safe. However, Leutrim Neziraj soon pulled one back, only for Jan Schlaudraff to restore his side's three-goal advantage.

Konstantin Rausch extended the lead with just over 10 minutes to be played, and Schlaudraff grabbed his second to rub salt in the hosts' wounds.


Another high-profile exit was Werder Bremen, who bowed out of the competition to Preusen Munster after losing 4-2 after extra-time.

Thing started well for the visitors, with, Eljero Elia securing his side a half-time lead with a debut goal, but shortly after the interval, Matthew Taylor notched an unlikely equaliser. Niclas Fullkrug restored Thomas Schaaf's side's advantage on 67 minutes, but Taylor was there once more to thwart the favourites' progress.

Soon after the first period of extra time started, Dima Nazarov edged the minnows ahead, and, with two minutes to spare, Taylor completed his hat-trick to send the six-time winners packing.
Elsewhere, another high-profile casualty was newly-promoted Bundesliga side Greuther Furth, who fell to a 2-0 loss to Kickers Offenbach. Koln kicked off their campaign with a  2-1 win against Unterhaching, with Freiburg beating Victoria Hamburg by the same scoreline.

St Pauli strode to a 3-0 victory against Offenburger and Augsburg navigated a potential upset by beating Wilhelmshaven 2-0.

Kaiserslautern recorded a comfortable 3-1 victory over Hansa Rostock, while Nurnberg had to endure the humiliation of losing 3-2 to Regionalliga Havelse.

Erzgebirge Aue scored a surprising 3-0 victory over Bundesliga new boys Eintracht Frankfurt, as Fortuna Dusseldorf edged past Wacker Burghausen with a 1-0 win.

And finally, Mainz managed to avoid an upset by beating Rosshach-Verscheid.