Rangers 0-3 Inverness CT: Highland side seal semi-final spot with comfortable Ibrox win

Caley Thistle qualify for the last four of the Scottish League Cup as efforts from Andrew Shinnie, Gary Warren and Graeme Shinnie see Terry Butcher's side past the Glaswegians
Strikes from Andrew Shinnie, Gary Warren and Graeme Shinnie saw Inverness CT claim a place in the semi-finals of the Scottish League Cup.

The Highland side came to Glasgow and claimed a comfortable victory over Rangers, who must now prepare for a Scottish Cup tie with Alloa on Saturday.

After claiming their first away win in the Third Division on Sunday against Clyde, Rangers boss Ally
McCoist decided to stick with the same line-up, including skipper Lee McCulloch who had earlier signed a new two-year deal, while McCoist’s opposite number and former teammate Terry Butcher also decided to go with the same team that drew against St Johnstone.

The visitors looked to take the advantage early on, with Andrew Shinnie setting up Aaron Doran for a chance in the opening minutes, then both Gary Warren and Billy McKay had efforts to get the Highland side ahead, but neither could find a way past Neil Alexander in the Rangers goal.

But after that Rangers started to gain a foothold on the game as Lewis McLeod tried his luck from long range, then Andrew Little had a couple of efforts for the home side with another chance for McLeod sandwiched between, but they couldn’t get McCoist’s side into the lead.

Midway through the half Inverness CT took the lead as Doran raced with the ball in the middle of the Rangers half and played a side-rule pass, splitting the Rangers defence wide open and allowing Andrew Shinnie, who had broken the offside trap to finish neatly past Alexander.

Rangers had a couple of efforts before the half-time whistle, with Lee Wallace and Chris Hegarty both having chances to equalise, but both of them couldn’t seem to find a way past the Caley Thistle defence to get level.

The home side continued to press forward at the start of the second half, McCulloch going close with a volley after receiving the ball from Little, but the Rangers skipper could only direct his strike wide of goal.

Things then became worse for Rangers as their defence fell asleep, failing to mark Warren and the defence made no mistake, heading a Graeme Shinnie corner beyond the helpless Alexander and into the back of the net.

It almost was three for the Highland side as Hegarty played a poor pass towards Alexander and allowed McKay to get in on goal, but the Caley Jags striker couldn’t find a way past the former Scotland international.

Inverness closed the game out with a third go late on as Andrew Shinnie received the ball on left hand side of the area and he was brought down by Rangers substitute Anestis Argyriou and that allowed the Graeme Shinnie to slot home from the spot.

The visitors saw the reminder of the game out and comfortably made their way into the semi-final stages of the tournament.