SPL Round 36 Results: Dundee relegated while Kilmarnock-Hibernian clash is abandoned

A supporter collapsed in the stands at Rugby Park, with the referee subsequently halting proceedings, as Inverness CT held on to third spot in the race for the Europa League

Round 36 Results


Liam Craig’s first-half goal gave St Johnstone a crucial three points at Tannadice in the chase for third spot.

It was the Saints' first victory at Dundee in nearly 13 years as Craig latched on to Gregory Tade’s near pass to keep his side's Europa League hopes alive.

Steven MacLean came close to doubling the visitors' lead on a day where Johnny Russell made his return from injury, but Craig bagged his seventh goal of the season with two games left.

St Johnstone travel to champions Celtic next before hosting second-placed Motherwell on the final day of the season, with third-placed Inverness CT lying just a point ahead.



Billy McKay’s hat-trick helped Inverness CT overcome Motherwell in a dramatic game at the Caledonian Stadium.

The hosts gave their own hopes of Europa League qualification a bigger boost with the win, after Motherwell had fought back from 3-0 down to level.

McKay opened the scoring before Andrew Shinnie doubled Inverness’ lead, and McKay added a third to put the match seemingly beyond Motherwell.

But James McFadden pulled one back and Michael Higdon made it 3-2 from the penalty spot before McFadden equalised with less than half an hour to go.

However McKay won the match for Inverness with six minutes left on the clock, leaving them a point ahead of St Johnstone in the battle for European qualification.

Inverness travel to Dundee United next before a crunch match at Ross County on the last day of the season.

Iain Vigurs' equaliser earned Ross County a point against champions Celtic in the race for European qualification at Victoria Park.

Anthony Stokes had given the visitors the lead with a close-range finish inside four minutes from Kris Commons’ corner, but Vigurs levelled with a strike past incoming Celtic goalkeeper Lukasz Zaluska into the top corner.

Steffen Wohlfarth and Paul Lawson came close to finding a winner for County, but they failed to nick all three points.

Manager Neil Lennon made seven changes to his team, with only one for County who remain four points behind third-placed Inverness CT on 54 points.

The two teams will play each other on May 19 in the final game of the season, with Motherwell being County's next opponents.
Niall McGinn’s equalising penalty relegated Dundee at Dens Park after Jim McAlister’s first-half volley looked to have given them a vital win.

The Dark Blues knew they had to win the match to avoid relegation from the SPL, and McAlister’s volley into the top corner set them on their way.

Rory Fallon was also sent off for the Dons following a clash with Declan Gallagher, but a foul Peter Pawlett handed a chance to equalise from the spot.

McGinn stepped up to fire the resulting penalty past Jamie Langfield to condem Dundee to the First Division.


Kilmarnock's SPL clash with Hibernian was abandoned on 54 minutes after a fan collapsed in the stands.

With the game tied at 1-1 in the opening stages of the second half, the referee halted proceedings so the supporter could receive medical treatment, with an ambulance arriving soon after before taking the unnamed fan to hospital.


St Mirren survived relegation from the SPL despite being comfortably beaten at Hearts.

Jamie Walker’s 13th-minute strike in off the crossbar gave the hosts the lead, before Kevin McHattie’s 25-yard free kick flew under goalkeeper Craig Samson two minutes before half-time.

Jamie Hamill added the third from the penalty spot, with Kenny McLean also being sent off, but Dundee’s draw with Aberdeen meant St Mirren could no longer be relegated.

Hearts moved above both Kilmarnock and Hibernian by a point after the two sides’ match was abandoned.

The Jambos host Hibernian in their next match before an end-of-season game against away to Aberdeen.