SPL Round 29 Results: Ross County claim a shock win at home to Celtic, while Dundee continue to fight off relegation with a point against Inverness CT

Both Murray Davidson and Gregory Tade help St Johnstone defeat Kilmarnock, while the games at Pittodrie and St Mirren Park end in goalless draws

Round 29 Results

The pressure continues to pile on under-fire Aberdeen boss Craig Brown as the Pittodrie side played out a goalless draw at home to Motherwell.

Aberdeen had the majority of the play, with Jonny Hayes crossing for Scott Vernon to head towards goal, but the Dons striker found his effort well saved by Darren Randolph.

Motherwell rarely threatened throughout, as the home side continued to pile on the pressure, but could not find the breakthrough that would open the game up.

The second half saw Brown’s side continue to dominate, with top scorer Niall McGinn having two chances to add to his record, but the Northern Irish international could not find the target and his side left the field to a chorus of boos from the Red Army.
Dundee continue to fight for their SPL lives under interim boss John Brown as they claimed a point at home to Inverness CT.

After drawing with St Johnstone and claiming victory over nearest rivals St Mirren, the Dark Blues remain unbeaten in the league under the stewardship of the former Dens Park midfielder.

They claimed the lead with less than a quarter of an hour gone in the game as Ryan Conroy played the ball to John Baird and he unleashed a strike from the edge of the area that went beyond Ryan Esson and into the net.

Inverness could have got back level on the half-hour mark as Andrew Shinnie unleashed an effort from long range which cannoned off Rab Douglas’ bar and away from danger.

Just after the break Dundee could have extended their lead, but Esson managed to get his hands to an Iain Davidson header to prevent the Highland side from going further behind.

With time running out Inverness CT finally got back on level terms as Billy McKay smashed the ball past Douglas from close range to salvage a point.
Second half strikes from Murray Davidson and Gregory Tade helped claim all three points over Kilmarnock at McDiarmid Park.

The victory sees Steve Lomas’ side remain in the top six, while the Ayrshire side remain on the outside looking in after their third league game without a win.

The first half was controlled by the Perth side with Rowan Vine having a couple of efforts, then Steven MacLean also having a chance, but neither of them could find a way past Kilmarnock keeper Cammy Bell.

Just before the hour mark St Johnstone took the lead after the visitors had failed to clear a corner properly, allowing Davidson the freedom to fire home the opener from close range.

Despite bringing on Kris Boyd as a substitute to try and claim a point for Kilmarnock, it was the home side that doubled their lead with five minutes left as Tade got onto a Liam Craig cross to head the winning goal and claim the victory.
Dundee United managed to survive a late sending off for John Rankin to claim a point at St Mirren and stretch their unbeaten run to five games.

The draw sees the Paisley side leap over Hearts into 10th place as the Tynecastle side play an Edinburgh derby away to Hibernian before meeting St Mirren in next week’s League Cup final.

Danny Lennon’s side had the first of the chances midway through the first half, as Stephen Thompson got onto a David van Zanten cross, but the striker saw his header go over the bar.

The second period saw the visitors start to create some chances, with Stuart Armstrong and new signing Rory Boulding having efforts just wide of Craig Samson’s goal.

The closest Dundee United came to a winner was when Michael Gardyne curled a free kick round the wall, but unfortunately for the midfielder it drifted past Samson’s goal.

With two minutes remaining, Jackie McNamara’s side were reduced to 10 men, as Rankin saw red for a two-footed lunge on St Mirren youngster John McGinn.