Celtic 6-2 Dundee United: Lennon’s Bhoys bounce back from Juventus blow in style

After suffering defeat in the Champions League, the Parkhead side made sure of no European hangover as they rout the Tannadice side to remain 17 points clear at the table summit

Doubles from Kris Commons and Anthony Stokes banished memories of Celtic‘s Champions League disappointments as the Scottish Premier League leaders triumphed 6-2 over Dundee United.

The visitors had taken an early lead through Stuart Armstrong after just 10 minutes, only for Efe Ambrose and Kris Commons to overturn the deficit.

Jon Daly saw this penalty saved by Fraser Forster as Dundee missed the chance to level matters before Joe Ledley sent Celtic into a 3-1 half-time lead. Commons and Stoke finished the rout as Johnny Russell netted a late equaliser.

Celtic made three changes from the side lost to Juventus, with Mikael Lustig, James Forrest and skipper Scott Brown all dropping out to be replaced by Adam Matthews, Ledley and Stokes. With Gavin Gunning ruled out for the rest of the season with injury, with Brian McLean came into the Dundee United side.

Despite having the majority of the chances in the opening stages, the home side found themselves a goal down when Gary Mackay-Steven robbed Charlie Mulgrew and fed Armstrong into the area to fire past Forster for a surprise lead.

Celtic, however, picked themselves up and levelled matters immediately when the villain of Tuesday night, Ambrose, headed in Mulgrew’s fine delivery from a corner.

The league leaders did not look back from then on, with Emilio Izaguirre darting down the left flank and finding Commons 12 yards out to volley past Radosław Cierzniak.

The Parkhead faithful were up in arms as referee Bobby Madden awarded a penalty to the visitors despite Adams Matthews’ tidy challenge on Mackay-Steven, but Forster comfortable saved Daly’s effort.

Celtic took no time to confirm the points after the spot-kick scare with Stokes working space for him and Ledley in the middle of the par for the latter to curl the ball into the top corner of the United net.

Lennon’s side were then given a penalty of their own as Barry Douglas brought down Stokes inside the box and Commons made no mistake, firing the ball past the helpless Cierzniak for his second goal of the game.

The home side made it a rout as Stokes got on the scoresheet, receiving the ball in the middle of the area and smashing it beyond Cierzniak.  

And the striker later claimed his double, and sixth for the home side as he latched onto another Mulgrew corner.

Dundee United did reduce the lead slightly at the end as Russell fired home a consolation goal for the visitors.