SPL Round 21 Results: Celtic suffer shock defeat at Hibernian while McGinn hat-trick claims victory for Aberdeen

Motherwell come from two down at home to Kilmarnock while Inverness CT fail to score for the first time this season during a goalless draw at St Johnstone

Round 21 Results
A hat-trick from Northern Ireland international Niall McGinn helped Aberdeen cruise past relegation strugglers Dundee.

The game failed to spark into life in the first half with the only incident of note being a serious injury suffered by Aberdeen’s outstanding defender Andrew Considine.

But immediately after the break, the Dons took the lead after a short corner from Jonny Hayes found McGinn and from close range he smashed the ball into the bottom corner of the net, beyond Dundee keeper Rab Douglas.

Midway through the second half McGinn claimed his second of the game, with Hayes once again providing the assist, as his cross was headed home by the Dons forward to put the visitors in command.

Substitute Mark Stewart managed to pull one back for the Dark Blues a minute after coming on as he got onto the end of a Colin Nish head flick to get the SPL’s bottom side back into the game.

As the game approached the closing stages, Aberdeen secured the three points, when Hayes' powerful shot was parried by Douglas and as the former Scotland international went to retrieve the rebound, McGinn was on hand to claim his hat-trick.

Motherwell came back from two goals down to claim a point against Kilmarnock on an emotional day for the Fir Park outfit.

The crowd inside the Lanarkshire ground stood in applause on the 10th minute in tribute to former Fir Park legend Phil O’Donnell who collapsed and later died during a game with Dundee United five years ago.

However it was the visitors who took the lead as Borja Perez turned and shot from the edge of the penalty area, giving Motherwell keeper Darren Randolph no chance, as the ball flew into the net.

The home side then started to dominate the play, but it was Kilmarnock who doubled the lead as Randolph managed to save a Michael Nelson header, but Paul Heffernan was there to bury the rebound into the Motherwell goal.

However within the space of four minutes Motherwell found themselves on level terms, first Jamie Murphy got onto the end of a Chris Humphrey cross from the right wing to reduce the Ayrshire side’s advantage.

A point was secured for the Steelmen when Henrik Ojamaa came in from the left hand side and drilled the ball past Cammy Bell in the Kilmarnock goal.
Inverness CT drew a blank for the first time this season as St Johnstone managed to claim a point against the Highland side.

The visitors had the better of the early chances, with both Billy McKay and Andrew Shinnie having efforts, but neither could find a way past Alan Mannus in the St Johnstone goal.

At the opposite end, Inverness’ Spanish shot-stopper Antonio Reguero was on top form as he saved from Liam and then from Gregory Tade and also David McCracken as the Perth side piled the pressure on their opponents.

Chances were few and far between later in the game, with Aaron Doran having an effort for Inverness CT and Tade having yet another chance to put St Johnstone into the lead but both sides were forced to settle for a point.