SPL Round 18 Results: Dundee United & Inverness CT are involved in an eight goal thriller as Motherwell claim second spot after coming from two behind at Hibernian

Celtic extend their lead at the top defeating St Mirren, while Dundee close the gap at the bottom with a point at Ross County and St Johnstone and Hearts share the spoils in Perth

Round 18 Results

Aberdeen suffered their third successive home defeat in the SPL as a double from Liam Kelly handed Kilmarnock the victory

After a quiet first half, the home side suffered a break just before the interval as goalkeeper Jamie Langfield was adjudged to have brought down Borja Perez inside the box and to make matters worse for Craig Brown’s side, referee Craig Charleston showed him a straight red card.

That meant want-away keeper Jason Brown was forced to come off the bench and replace striker Rory Fallon and his first act of the game was to pick out the penalty from Kelly that gave Kilmarnock the lead.

The home side piled on the pressure in the second half; Josh Magennis' long range strike cannoned off the bar and Niall McGinn's free kick was well saved by Cammy Bell in the Kilmarnock goal.

The three points were secured late on as James Dayton played in Kelly on the edge of the area and the Kilmarnock midfielder made no mistake, placing the ball past Brown to claim the victory.

A last minute penalty from Jon Daly helped Dundee United snatch a point after squandering a three-goal lead at home to Inverness CT.

The home side went into the lead after five minutes, when Inverness CT defender Josh Meekings unfortunately found the back of his own net, as he deflected a mishit Daly strike past his own keeper.

A minute later the visitors found themselves two behind as Graeme Shinnie’s attempted clearance cannoned off of Daly, allowing the Irish striker the easiest of tasks to place the ball past Antonio Reguero in the Caley Thistle goal.

Two soon became three, as with less than eight minutes on the clock Rudi Skacel claimed his first goal for Dundee United after Stuart Armstrong played in the Czech midfielder, whose low drive found the back of the net.

The fightback started when Richie Foran got on the end of an Andrew Shinnie corner and found Billy McKay, who headed past Radoslaw Cierzniak to give the visitors a lifeline.

Two minutes later McKay was at it again as he headed home from an Aaron Doran corner to reduce the deficit to a single goal.

On the hour mark McKay claimed his hat-trick, as he slotted home a penalty to bring Inverness CT level after Ross Draper had been hauled down inside the box by Willo Flood.

The Highland outfit looked to have claimed all three points, when another header, this time from Gary Warren found the net after a cross from the left by Graeme Shinnie.

But the scoring wasn’t over, as Daly got his second of the day, this time from the penalty spot after Foran was adjudged to have handled inside the box.
Motherwell came from two goals behind to claim all three points away to Hibernian as a Jamie Murphy double and a Bob McHugh strike moved the Steelmen into second place.

A dull first half was only livened up four minutes from the break as Eoin Doyle managed to get onto a cross from David Wotherspoon to give Pat Fenlon’s side the lead at the interval.

The lead was doubled when Doyle got a hold of a long ball and made his way past Adam Cummins, before striking the ball from the edge of the area Darren Randolph in the visitors’ goal.

Motherwell did get a goal back when Chris Humphrey cut the ball back for Murphy to fire the ball past Hibernian keeper Ben Williams.

With just over 10 minutes remaining, Stuart McCall’s side claimed an equaliser after some good work from Michael Higdon. He then found Murphy, who headed home his second of the game.

The Steelmen took the lead with three minutes left as McHugh managed to somehow bundle home a cross from Henrik Ojamaa.

Then deep into injury time Hibernian skipper James McPake recieved his second yellow card of the game for a challenge on Murphy to leave the Easter Road side a man down at the final whistle.
Dundee continued to put pressure on St Mirren, their nearest rivals at the bottom of the league, with a well-earned point away to Ross County.

The draw sees Barry Smith’s side cut the gap between them and the Paisley side to five points, with the home side now getting dragged into the relegation mire, having failed to win in five league games.

The Dark Blues took the lead towards the end of the first half when Iain Davidson strolled forward and unleashed a vicious long range strike past Mark Brown and into the roof of the Ross County goal.

Ross County had the better of the second half; with Ross Tokely sending a header just wide of Rab Douglas’ post.

But Derek Adams side did eventually find the equaliser as strikes from Richard Brittain and Iain Vigurs were blocked by the Dundee defence, before Gary Glen stroked the ball home to claim a point for the home side. 
Goals from Rowan Vine and Steven MacLean saw St Johnstone come twice from behind to claim a point at home to Hearts.

The draw leaves the Edinburgh side in ninth place in the SPL, but they are only three points behind Steve Lomas’ side, who occupy fifth position in the league table.

The Jambos claimed the opener a quarter of an hour into the game as John Sutton headed home at the back post after an Andrew Driver free kick.

But the hosts took less than a minute to equalise, as a deflected cross from on-loan Aberdeen midfielder Peter Pawlett found Vine and he knocked the ball past Jamie MacDonald in the Hearts goal.

Hearts reclaimed the lead just before the break as Sutton flicked on a long throw from Ryan McGowan and Driver was on hand to finish off the chance and put the Tynecastle outfit into the lead at the break.

St Johnstone piled on the pressure in the second half and got level deservedly, when Callum Davidson played a long ball to Murray Davidson and his cross found MacLean, who from close range slotted home the equaliser to claim a point for St Johnstone.