East Stirling 2-6 Rangers: Rout sees McCoist’s side remain top

The Ibrox side start to get into the groove of the Third Division smashing home six goals on their travels to remain clear at the summit of the league
Rangers went goal crazy against East Stirling with a double from Lee McCulloch and strikes from Andrew Little, Lee Wallace, Kevin Kyle and Kai Naismith keeping the Ibrox side top of the Third Division.

A Kevin Turner header and a Paul Quinn penalty had handed the home side a glimmer of hope, but they were made to play the majority of the game with 10 men as Phillip Zufle was sent off.

East Stirling made two changes with both Craig Hume and Michael Hunter dropping out to be replaced by Richard Miller and Turner, while Kyle made his first start for Rangers, replacing Robbie Crawford.

The visitors were on the front foot from the beginning as both Wallace and Ian Black linked up, eventually finding Dean Shiels but his strike went over.

Shiels was in the thick of things minutes later as he was brought down inside the box and referee George Salmond pointed to the spot, which allowed McCulloch to step up and smash the resulting penalty into the net.

Midway through the half the home side were reduced to 10 men as German midfielder Zufle was shown a straight red card from an over-the-top challenge on Kyle which left the former Hearts striker raging.

With their opponents going down to 10 men, Rangers looked to add to their advantage with Black going close, before Anestis Argyriou played the ball towards Little and with the aid of a deflection, he fired the ball past Grant Hay in the Shire goal.

Instead of folding, the home side went straight up the park and reduced the deficit as Nathan Shepherd raced down the left, swinging the ball in for Turner, who headed in beyond Neil Alexander in the Rangers goal.

Within three minutes of the second half starting the visitors restored their two-goal lead as Wallace received the ball on the left-hand side, before powering towards the box and placing the ball past Hay in the Shire goal.

The home side refused to lie down, even with 10 men as Shepherd took the ball into the box and was clattered by McCulloch and the referee awarded the penalty, with Quinn making no mistake from 12 yards out.

Rangers looked to get back into a two-goal lead as Black picked the ball up in the middle of the East Stirling box, but unfortunately for the midfielder his strike cannoned off of the post and away from danger.

The two-goal advantage was eventually restored as Shiels found Little and the Northern Irish forward then played the ball to Kyle, who from three yards out tapped the ball home past the helpless Hay.

Ally McCoist’s side secured the victory as Barrie McKay played the ball to substitute Naismith who curled the ball past Hay to claim Rangers' fifth goal of the game.

The rout was complete as McKay juggled the ball inside the box and eventually it hit off the hand of Steven Jackson and that allowed McCulloch to claim his second from the spot.