SPL Round 12 Results: Hibernian go top with victory as Dundee claim second win of the season

Aberdeen’s unbeaten run comes to an end at the hands of Ross County, Inverness CT claim victory at Kilmarnock while a Jamie Murphy double hands Motherwell a win at St Johnstone

Round 12 Results

A Matt Lockwood free kick helped Dundee claim only their second win of the season at the expense of Hearts.

The Dens Park side’s only other victory also came against the Edinburgh side in September and now sees them close to within five points of second bottom St Mirren.

The winner came midway through the first half as Marius Zaliukas brought down Gary Irvine on the edge of the Hearts penalty area and Lockwood made no mistake curling the free kick beyond the helpless Jamie MacDonald in the Jambos' goal.

Hearts had numerous chances to get back on level terms, with Mehdi Taouil, Arvydas Novikovas and Zaliukas all having efforts, but none of them could find a way past Rab Douglas in the Dundee goal as John McGlynn’s side remain stuck in ninth place in the SPL table.

Hibernian came from behind to defeat St Mirren and claim top spot in the SPL as a Leigh Griffiths double cancelled out Kenny McLean’s opener.

Despite having the early pressure it was the Paisley side who went into the lead just after the half hour mark as a Dougie Irmie corner wasn’t cleared properly, allowing McLean to thunder home a strike from 30 yards out to put the visitors ahead.

The lead was only to last five minutes as Paul Cairney raced down the left-hand side and his cross was flicked on by skipper James McPake, into the path of Griffiths at the back post and the on-loan Wolves striker smashed home the equaliser.

Midway through the second half, the home side took the lead after good work involving David Wotherspoon and Cairney eventually setting up Griffiths, who claimed his second from just outside the area.

Things went from bad to worse for Danny Lennon’s side as Jim Goodwin was sent off only minutes after going behind for a second yellow card to leave St Mirren playing the last quarter of the game with 10 men.
Inverness CT made it seven games unbeaten in the SPL after goals from Andrew Shinnie and Billy McKay saw them past 10 men Kilmarnock.

The visitors took the lead midway through the first half as Andrew Shinnie found the bottom corner of the Kilmarnock after receiving the ball from McKay.

Just before the break it could have been two for the Highland side as Lee Johnson brought down Andrew Shinnie inside the box, but his brother Graeme Shinnie couldn’t replicate his penalty strike against Rangers on Wednesday as Killie keeper Cammy Bell saved the spot kick.

Kilmarnock claimed an equaliser 10 minutes into the second half as Liam Kelly made a roving run through the Inverness midfield before unleashing a long range drive which nestled in the visitors’ goal.

With quarter of an hour remaining Inverness secured the three points as McKay was brought down by Bell inside the box, which saw the keeper sent off and the striker stepped up to place the ball past sub goalie Kyle Letheren to claim the victory.
Aberdeen suffered their first defeat since the opening day of the season as a Mark Reynolds own-goal and a strike from youngster Steven Ross saw Ross County claim all three points.

The opener came with less than 10 minutes remaining in the first half as a free kick from Richard Brittain was diverted past Jamie Langfield in the Dons goal by Reynolds.

Within minutes of the restart the Staggies were two goals ahead as Brittain played in Ross and the 19-year-old striker raced past the Aberdeen defence to slot the ball beyond Langfield and double the home side’s advantage.

With quarter of an hour left on the clock the visiting fans were given hope of a fightback as substitute Jonny Hayes cut the ball back for Niall McGinn to claim his sixth goal in six successive games, but that wasn’t enough as the home side held out for the victory.
Motherwell claimed their first win a five games as a double from Jamie Murphy and a strike from Nicky Law saw them comfortably past St Johnstone.

After failing to score in their previous three league fixtures, Stuart McCall’s men came out of the traps quickly as a cross from Law found Murphy, who slotted the ball into the back of the net from 12 yards out.

The second came near the end of the first half as Murphy received the ball just inside the St Johnstone half before racing forward and stroking the ball past home keeper Alan Mannus to put the Fir Park side in a commanding position.

Motherwell’s third came with less than 20 minutes left on the clock as Keith Lasley played in the onrushing Law and the Steelmen midfielder made no mistake slamming the ball home to claim all three points.

The home side did get a consolation goal late on as good work from Rowan Vine found David Robertson and the former Dundee United midfielder buried the ball into the back of the net, but that couldn’t save the Perth side from defeat.