SPL Round 11 Results: Kilmarnock shock Celtic to claim a famous victory, while Hibernian move into second with a controversial win at Motherwell

Aberdeen maintain their unbeaten run at the expense of Dundee, while injury time goals help both Hearts and St Johnstone and a Johnny Russell penalty wins it for Dundee United

Round 11 Results

Motherwell were left furious as referee Stevie O’Reilly awarded two controversial penalties to help Hibernian on their way to a four-goal victory.

Pat Fenlon’s side went into the lead when David Wotherspoon unleashed an unstoppable drive from just outside the area past the stranded Darren Randolph.

The home side were unlucky not to draw level when Stevie Hammell's header looked to have crossed the line before Ben Williams scooped the ball away, but the assistant referee failed to award the goal.

Things got even worse for Motherwell when Leigh Griffiths went down under a challenge from Randolph, with O’Reilly awarding the spot kick, which the on-loan Wolves striker fired home.

The home side were awarded a penalty of their own as James McPake was adjudged to have fouled Michael Hidgon in the box, but the striker fired his effort over the bar.

The third penalty of the game was given with 15 minutes left on the clock as Wotherspoon was felled on the edge of the area by Hammell. Griffiths made no mistake from the spot.

Deep into injury time, Danny Handling rounded out the scoring with a close-range drive after a Wotherspoon pass.

Aberdeen winger Niall McGinn made it five goals in five games for both club and country as the home side eased past the SPL's bottom club Dundee.

The defeat leaves the Dark Blues stranded at the foot of the table with only four points gained so far this campaign.

They got off to the worst possible start as keeper Rab Douglas' sloppy pass freed Ryan Fraser to send McGinn clear - with the striker showing good composure to put the Dons ahead.

Craig Brown’s side confirmed the continuation of their unbeaten streak - now reaching 12 matches - midway through the second half when Jonny Hayes fired home a free kick to claim all three points.
A John Sutton goal deep into injury time saved Hearts a point against SPL newcomers Ross County at Tynecastle.

The home side had taken the lead when Jambos skipper Marius Zaliukas played a ball through the Staggies defence for Arvydas Novikovas to tap the ball home with five minutes left in the half.

Derek Adams outfit levelled ten minutes after the break as Andy Webster brought down Iain Vigurs inside the box and that allowed Richard Brittain to fire home the equaliser from the penalty spot.

Ross County looked to have secured all three points with less than a quarter of the game left as Vigurs found Stuart Kettlewell on the edge of the area and he stroked the ball beyond Hearts keeper Jamie MacDonald.

However, late into added time the home side snatched a point and Zaliukas was provider once again as his mis-hit shot landed at the feet of Sutton, who made no mistake to slam home the equaliser.
St Johnstone's six-game winning streak was ended by a stubborn Inverness CT side.

A victory would have put Steve Lomas’ side into second place behind Celtic, but instead they find themselves locked on 18 points with Hibernian and Aberdeen.

The game failed to come to life until the midway point of the second half as Inverness defender Graeme Shinnie was hauled down in the box by Gary Miller, allowing his brother Andrew Shinnie a chance from the spot, but his penalty flew over the bar.

However, two minutes later the home side did take the lead as Ross Draper found Billy McKay and the Caley Thistle striker slotted the ball into the St Johnstone net from close range.

But, a minute into injury time, the Saints salvaged an equaliser when Miller crossed from the right for David Robertson to head home and take a point back down the A9 to Perth.
A second-half penalty from Dundee United striker Johnny Russell handed St Mirren their third defeat on the bounce and moved the Terrors further clear of local rivals Dundee.

Peter Houston’s side now sit eight points clear of their Tannadice Street neighbours with two games in hand against both Celtic and Motherwell.

The winner didn’t come until the 69th minute when St Mirren striker Stephen Thompson was adjudged to have handled a Willo Flood corner and that allowed Russell to slam the ball past Craig Samson from the penalty spot.

The visitors had chances to add to their lead, especially with new signing Rudi Skacel who attempted a long run and drive but the Czech, playing his first game in five months, couldn’t find the stamina to finish and ultimately Dundee United were forced to settle for a one-goal victory.