SPL Round 9 Results: Hibernian go top with victory over Dundee as Inverness claim the spoils in the first SPL Highland derby

A power failure sees Motherwell and Dundee United fail to start as Aberdeen claim third place defeating Kilmarnock and St Johnstone win the battle of the Saints over St Mirren

Round 9 Results

Inverness claimed victory in the first ever Highland derby in the SPL as they comfortable beat local rivals Ross County on Friday night.

The home side opened the scoring when Ross Draper managed to rise above the County defence and divert a Graeme Shinnie corner into the net via what appeared to be his back.

After Mark Fotheringham had cracked the bar for the visitors, Inverness doubled their advantage when a mistake by Grant Munro allowed Richie Foran in and he set up Andrew Shinnie to stroke home the second.

There was some joy for the travelling fans as former Caley Jag Iain Vigurs curled a free-kick from the edge of the area to get Derek Adams' side back into the game.

As County searched for an equaliser, Terry Butcher's team put the game beyond doubt as Ireland Under-21 international Aaron Doran swept home a superb volley after Billy McKay knocked the ball into the winger’s path.

Hibernian claimed top spot in the SPL with a comprehensive victory over bottom side Dundee at Easter Road.

The Edinburgh side took the lead just before the half-hour mark as Eoin Doyle got onto the end of a Paul Cairney cross to put his side ahead.

Five minutes after the break, they went two up as Cairney was brought down in box by Jim McAlister and that allowed Leigh Griffiths to step up and power home the resulting penalty.

All three points were claimed for the Easter Road outfit when David Wotherspoon rifled home a Tim Clancy cross to send his side to the top of the table.

Aberdeen jumped into third place as goals from Gavin Rae, Niall McGinn and Scott Vernon saw the Dons past Kilmarnock.

The Rugby park side had taken an early lead as Jamie Langfield spilled a Gary Harkins shot into the path of Ryan O’Leary, who made no mistake, firing the ball home.

The equaliser came just after the break as Rae broke into the Kilmarnock box and struck the ball past keeper Kyle Letheren.

Ten minutes later the visitors went ahead as the impressive Ryan Fraser swung a cross into the box for McGinn to head home.

The victory was secured for Craig Brown’s men late on as Jonny Hayes played in Vernon, who had the simple task of claiming the Dons third.

 Game was postponed due to a power failure in the local area.

First-half goals from Nigel Hasselbaink and Murray Davidson helped St Johnstone to all three points against St Mirren.

Former St Mirren striker Hasselbaink got the opener after 22 minutes as Davidson played through the Dutch striker and he played the ball beyond keeper Craig Samson.

Davidson then turned from provider to scorer as he received the ball from Gary Miller and placed the ball into the bottom corner to double the lead for the Perth Saints.

The Paisley side got a goal back just after the break as Graham Carey crossed from the left for Lewis Guy to fire home, but they could not find a way to get back on level terms.