SPL Round 8 Results: Celtic claim top spot as St Mirren win nine-goal thriller

Also, Hibernian lose out to Aberdeen, Cillian Sheridan hits a hat trick for Kilmarnock and Dundee United find themselves on the end of a four-goal thumping at Inverness

Round 8 Results
Goals from Niall McGinn and Gavin Rae saw Hibernian once again fail to take top spot in the SPL as they lost out to Aberdeen.

The Edinburgh side had missed out on the opportunity to go top last week as they drew at home to Inverness and found themselves behind after five minutes as Scott Vernon’s strike was palmed by Ben Williams into the path McGinn who tapped home.

Just after the half-hour mark Hibs drew level as Eoin Doyle picked the ball up on the right-hand side and unleashed a strike that beat Dons keeper Jamie Langfield at his near post.

However, midway through the second half the home side claimed the lead again after some good work from substitute Josh Magennis, who picked out Rae before the midfielder netted from close range.

St Johnstone claimed victory over rivals Dundee as Gregory Tade, Liam Craig and Steven MacLean all got goals for the Perth side.

Tade opened the scoring after just 15 minutes with a strike into the top corner after receiving the ball from Craig.

The home side then equalised when Ryan Conroy fired home a penalty after Martin Boyle had been brought down in the box by Frazer Wright.

But the Saints regained the advantage as Tade linked up once again with Craig, this time allowing the midfielder to get himself on the scoresheet.

Five minutes into the second half all three points were secured when MacLean scored from deep inside the box after receiving the ball from Wright.


Cillian Sheridan
claimed a hat-trick as Kilmarnock jumped into third place in the SPL with a superb victory at Tynecastle.

The Irish striker opened the scoring just after the half-hour mark as he headed home a cross from James Dayton.

He added a second five minutes after the break, receiving the ball from Manuel Pascali and driving it low beyond Jamie MacDonald in the Hearts goal.

Sheridan claimed the match ball on the hour mark after getting played through from Danny Racchi and firing home with confidence.

Hearts gained a consolation goal late on as skipper Marius Zaliukas found the net for the third time in a week after Danny Grainger provided the pass.


A double from Richie Foran and strikes from Andrew Shinnie and Phillip Roberts saw Inverness comfortably past out-of-form Dundee United.

The Highland outfit claimed the lead 30 minutes in as Foran received the ball inside the box from Andrew Shinnie and slotted it past Radoslaw Cierzniak in the Terrors goal.

The Inverness captain claimed his second only minutes later as he headed a cross from Roberts into the visitors' net.

Foran then turned provider in the second half as he played through Andrew Shinnie and the Rangers youth product made no mistake with a close range drive.

Inverness claimed a fourth with less than 20 minutes left as a short corner from Aaron Doran was swept into the net by Roberts.





Ross County suffered their second defeat in a row after going 40 games unbeaten, losing to St Mirren in a nine-goal thriller.

The visitors opened the scoring when Iain Vigurs hit a shot from the edge of the penalty area which went past Buddies keeper Craig Samson.

St Mirren managed to level things up when Stephen Thompson headed home after a cross from Jim Goodwin.

Derek Adams' side regained the advantage on the stroke of half-time as Grant Munro slotted the ball home after a free-kick from Vigurs.

The scores were levelled up once again as Thompson was brought down inside the box by Staggies defender Scott Boyd and that allowed Lewis Guy to fire home the resulting penalty.

The Paisley side then took the lead as Sam Parkin headed a cross from the right by David van Zanten into the back of the Ross County net.

The Highland side got back level with ten minutes left after two quick strikes from former Celtic midfielder Rocco Quinn.

But with only two minutes left Thompson claimed all three points for the home side with a stunning overhead kick after a cross from the left by Graham Carey.