Rangers 0-0 Motherwell: Ibrox season ends in frustration as visitors celebrate Champions League qualification with point

McCoist left disappointed by his side's performance in front of their own fans as McCall's team squander a number of glorious opportunities in the match which ended goalless
Rangers and Motherwell shared the points in a goalless draw at Ibrox with the visitors wasting the better of the chances.

With Rangers cemented in second place and Motherwell clinching a spot in the Champions League neither side had much to play for at Ibrox.

The home side enjoyed the lion's share of possession but the better of the chances throughout the match fell to Motherwell on the counter-attack. However, the visitors' finishing and decision making in the final third let them down repeatedly.

Ally McCoist made one change from the side which beat Dundee United midweek. Salim Kerkar missed out with an ankle problem and was replaced by Lee McCulloch, who recovered from a knock.

Motherwell also made a single change after beating Hearts, with Henrik Ojamaa replacing the injured Michael Higdon up front.

Rangers began the match on the front foot and created the better of the chances early on.

Sone Aluko cut inside from the right and played in McCulloch for a shot from inside the box which was well blocked by a brave Tom Hateley.

Rangers went close again moments later, as Kyle Bartley attempted an audacious chip which nearly caught out Darren Randolph in the Motherwell goal.

Rangers continued to exert pressure on the visitors' defence with Aluko’s influence growing as the match went on.

However, Motherwell should have been ahead in the 17th minute after Ojamaa was sent through on goal by Keith Lasley’s through ball. The Estonian had done brilliantly to skip past the outrushing Allan McGregor but could not pick out Jamie Murphy, when he would have been better off shooting himself.

Rangers’ fans became increasingly frustrated as the home side enjoyed plenty of possession but could not find a way through a resilient Motherwell defence.

The subdued nature of the Ibrox crowd along with the drop in tempo in the second half gave the afternoon an end of season feel, something which Rangers’ boss McCoist must have warned his players against at half-time.

The match suddenly sparked into life on the hour mark with great opportunities for both sides.

Firstly, Humphrey latched on to a ball over the top and found himself bearing down on goal with Murphy again crying out for the ball across the box for a tap-in, but the wide-man delayed his pass a moment too long and the chance was spurned.

Whilst the visitors were still ruing that missed chance, Maurice Edu picked out Lee Wallace who held off Hutchinson and forced a good save from Randoph.

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall held his head in his hands as his side squandered yet another golden opportunity in the 64th minute. Yet again the visitors' were allowed space in wide areas, with Ojamaa doing well before cutting the ball back to Hateley who blazed his shot over the bar from 15 yards.

Rangers kept the ball and probed for an opening in the closing stages but never really threatened to break the deadlock, Steven Whittaker coming closest with a late effort but to no avail.