League Cup round-up: West Ham, Leicester City and Burnley knocked out

Manchester United were not the only Premier League side to suffer a giant-killing in the second round on Tuesday but there were wins for the likes of Southampton and Crystal Palace
West Ham, Leicester City and Burnley all joined Manchester United as Premier League teams knocked out of the League Cup in the second round on Tuesday night.

Sheffield United were in giant-killing form in last season’s FA Cup and picked up where they left off by dumping out Sam Allardyce’s men on penalties at Upton Park.

A shootout miss by new signing Enner Valencia proved decisive for the Hammers, who had earlier seen fellow summer recruit Diafra Sakho open the scoring. Winston Reid, however, nulled their advantage with an own goal.

Leicester were taken out by lowlier opposition as League Two’s Shrewsbury Town progressed thanks to a stunning free kick by Andy Mangan.

David Nugent hit the woodwork for the Foxes but Nigel Pearson’s side struggled, with eight changes made from their defeat by Chelsea, and Shrewsbury should have had more, with Connor Goldson and Scott Vernon both guility of missing excellent chances.

Burnley had taken no points from their first two Premier League games but found no respite when Sheffield Wednesday came to Turf Moor, with a late penalty buried by Atdhe Nuhiu to send them out.

Sean Dyche’s men were unable to assert themselves in a match devoid of quality, having picked a heavily rotated side. The likes of Ashley Barnes and Marvin Sordell had chances early in the second half but the Clarets will now have to focus on their top-flight battle, skipper Jason Shackell having conceded the decisive spot kick.

There were better fortunes for Southampton, who earned Ronald Koeman’s first victory as manager by beating Millwall 2-0 at the New Den.

Three years after joining the club, Jack Cork scored his first goal for the Saints with a second-half header, with summer signing Graziano Pelle then getting off the mark deep into stoppage time. The Italian had earlier missed several opportunities, including hitting the post at one point, but started to repay his £9 million fee as the south-coast side reached the third round.

Crystal Palace had it even better. Still without a full-time manager, the Eagles nonetheless cruised into the next round thanks to a hat-trick from striker Dwight Gayle.

The youngster netted all three of his goals before half-time as Walsall were blown away 3-0, utilising his devastating pace for the first and third either side of a smart free kick for the second.

Swansea City ran out 1-0 victors at home against Rotherham United, with summer signing Bafetimbi Gomis scoring his first goal for Garry Monk’s side to send them through.

A much-changed Swans team – including first outings for Federico Fernandez and Tom Carroll – did not hit top form but Gomis showed his class with a skilful turn-and-shot from just outside the area on 22 minutes, having been supplied by stand-in captain Nathan Dyer.

West Brom needed a penalty shootout to get past fourth-tier opposition in Oxford United at the Hawthorns but, having drawn 1-1 after extra time, eventually did the job 7-6 from the spot.

Alan Irvine’s side looked to have been cruising into the third round after Johnny Mullins’s own goal gave them the advantage but Oxford rallied and Danny Hylton found a leveller at close range with just four minutes left of normal time. Jason Davidson finally stepped up for the decisive penalty to see the Baggies through.

Get Adobe Flash player