thumbnail Hello,

The Blaugrana winger believes Rojiblancos coach Diego Simeone has many other attacking options for their Champions League encounter, which is finely poised at 1-1

Pedro does not believe the likely absence of Diego Costa will make Barcelona's task of knocking Atletico Madrid out of the Champions League any easier.

The 26-year-old forward is a major doubt for Wednesday's crunch quarter-final second leg at the Vicente Calderon, after suffering a hamstring injury in last week's 1-1 draw at Camp Nou.

Pedro acknowledges Costa is a key component of Diego Simeone's side but he says the Rojiblancos can cope without their star striker.

“Diego Costa is a very good player and fundamental for them, but if he doesn’t play they have other options," the Barca winger told the club's official website.

The Blaugrana will go into the game in the Spanish capital still reeling from the news they have been banned by Fifa from signing any players for the next two transfer windows.

Pedro insists, however, the players have not been distracted by the controversy relating to the movement of players under the age of 18.

“We’re trying to isolate ourselves from what’s going on at the club," the Spain international said. "We’re focussed on our work.”

Barca were not at their best, though, in Saturday's 3-1 victory over Betis at Camp Nou.

Pedro concedes the Blaugrana had performed poorly, but says winning was the most important thing, given that victory means Tata Martino's men remain only a point behind leaders Atletico in La Liga.

“We lacked intensity and control in the second half," the 26-year-old said of the Betis clash.

"We should have dominated more; we let them back into the game and they made it complicated for us.”

“We’re pleased with the result, and we’re happy to have three more points.”

“We try to win all of our games. We’re aware of what’s on the line both for us and for the teams we face.”

Related

From the web