Crystal Palace boss Holloway admits defeat in Bent pursuit

The newly-promoted Eagles had been confident of securing a deal for the Aston Villa striker, but established Premier League outfit Fulham have swooped in to sign the 29-year-old
Ian Holloway has revealed that Crystal Palace target Darren Bent is set to join Fulham.

The Premier League new-boys had hoped to make the striker their 10th signing of the close-season but Holloway admitted that a deal now looks unlikely.

TRANSFER TALK
8/15 Crystal Palace are 8/15 with William Hill to be relegated
Bent found his opportunities at Aston Villa limited under Paul Lambert last season and has been linked with a host of clubs.

Palace wanted to sign the 29-year-old on a season-long loan, whereas Fulham look set to complete a permanent deal for the England international.

Speaking on BBC London 94.9 Holloway said: "Fulham could wait a lot longer than we could so we've tried to force it, they've stepped in, took our deal.

"I was told last night [Wednesday] he was coming to us. I was told this morning he was coming to us. It's life.

"They [Fulham] are bigger sharks than us. My chairman's going to have to get used to that."

Fulham would be Bent's third London club, having already played for Charlton Athletic and Tottenham.