Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has criticised Chelsea for not meeting the club's valuation to seal the transfer of Victor Moses.
The Lancashire club are holding out for their £8.5 million valuation for the attacker who scored six goals last season and played a major part in helping the Latics survive the drop.
And Martinez has claimed that the dragging saga is affecting Moses ahead of the start of their new Premier League season – which, coincidently, is against Chelsea on Sunday.
"If you don't meet a valuation, it becomes paper talk and speculation," he said.
"It happens everywhere, it gives you uncertainty and I don't think that helps. The players are human beings."
Moses is out of contract at the DW stadium at the end of the season, and interest in him has been no secret with Chelsea making two cash bids for him over the last month.
|13/2||Chelsea are 13/2 to beat Wigan 2-0 with Bet365|
And Martinez hopes to keep the player as long as possible, adding that he believes the transfer window should only stay active during the off-season and not while competitive action is underway.
"For Victor it's been an exciting summer. I told him he should be very proud, as a footballer at 21, to get the interest he has had."
"Victor knows what he did from December to the end of the season was a great level of performance.
"He can take it on to the next level and I am very excited to have Victor at Wigan, and I hope we can keep him for many years to come.
"I do feel there is a need for a transfer window, it is beneficial, but I don't think it helps when it is open when you are playing official games.”