By Greg Stobart and Wayne Veysey
Liverpool have lined up Roberto Martinez to replace Kenny Dalglish as the club’s new manager, Goal.com understands.
Fenway Sports Group (FSG), the Reds’ American owners, made contact with Wigan boss Martinez last week through third parties and sources have described the Spaniard as the hot favourite to take over at Anfield after Dalglish was sacked on Wednesday.
As revealed by Goal.com in April, Martinez has already decided to leave Wigan this summer and, despite Latics owner Dave Whelan denying that an official approach has been made, Liverpool are now expected to make a formal move for the 38-year-old, who is also on Aston Villa’s shortlist.
|WE NEED A MIRACLE WORKER
|Jim Boardman | Anfield Road
Kenny Dalglish always said that he'd do what he could to help Liverpool FC. That he left by having his contract terminated rather than by 'mutual consent' or resigning suggests that he still felt he could help Liverpool FC. If he didn't think so he'd have fallen on his sword.
The honeymoon period for FSG is now well and truly over. Liverpool are still waiting for that new stadium, the one that allows the club to compete financially with other sides with top-four ambitions. Liverpool haven't even managed top five for three seasons.
Other problems needed sorting before changing the manager and unless FSG intend to address them, urgently, they will need a miracle worker to replace Dalglish.
Martinez guided the Latics to safety in the Premier League this season following a stunning run of form towards the end of the campaign that included victories over Manchester United, Arsenal, Newcastle and the Reds themselves.
He has been continually tipped by Whelan to manage at the highest level and feels ready to make the next step in his career after turning down the opportunity to take over at Villa a year ago.
Villas-Boas was sacked by Chelsea in March but still has a reputation as one of the most promising managers in Europe and is the leading candidate for the vacant managerial position at Italian side Roma.
But Martinez is in pole position to land one of the most prestigious jobs in English football after Liverpool legend Dalglish following the club’s poor performances in the league this season.
The Scot met the owners in Boston earlier this week but could not save his job after 16 months back at the helm, with FSG particularly frustrated with Liverpool’s failure in the transfer market having spent £110 million on new players. It is believed that Henry and chairman Tom Werner had been leaning towards sacking Dalglish for several weeks and have been considering potential replacements.
|MARTINEZ; THEY ARE A-CHANGIN'|
|5/2||Roberto Martinez is 5/2 with Sportingbet to be the next permanent Liverpool manager|
Dalglish was left in a vulnerable position following the dismissal in April of director of football Damien Comolli as FSG underwent a major restructuring of the club.
“Results in the Premier League have been disappointing and we believe to build on the progress that has already been made, we need to make a change,” said Werner in a statement on Liverpool’s official website.
"We are committed to delivering success for our supporters and our ambition remains resolute to return this great Club to the elite of England and Europe, where it belongs."
Follow Greg Stobart on
Follow Wayne Veysey on