Tottenham have asked the Premier League to write to all the managers in the division asking them not to discuss the vacant England manager's job.
Following intense speculation that Spurs boss Harry Redknapp will take the post at the end of the season, the club have moved to stop fellow coaches endorsing the 64-year old.
Several leading bosses, including Kenny Dalglish, Alan Pardew and Roy Hodgson, have already gone public with their support of Redknapp as well as Manchester United stars Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand.
Last month Sir Alex Ferguson said: "There is no doubt Harry Redknapp is the best man. He has the experience and personality and the knowledge of the game. He has changed the fortunes of every club he has been at."
And the Red Devils boss has now revealed that he had “no idea” why he has been given the request for silence, before joking: “so I'm out of the running”.
Tottenham striker Jermain Defoe is 13/2 with Paddy Power to score the first goal when Redknapp's side take on Everton on Saturday.
Speaking to BBC Sport, a Premier League spokesman said: “It is in its rules that club officials should not comment on other clubs' contracted employees."
The FA is set to draw up a shortlist of targets but will wait until the "back end" of the season before appointing a successor to Fabio Capello.
Redknapp has seen his side lose their last two Premier League games but says that he is "flattered" to be considered for the role and that it is the “ultimate job for an Englishman".