thumbnail Hello,

Rangers to make second bid for wantaway Congolese centre-back, who has also been linked with Tottenham and officially requested a transfer on Monday in bid to force January move

EXCLUSIVE
By Greg Stobart | Northern Correspondent

QPR are set to make an improved offer of £7.5 million for Christopher Samba after the Blackburn defender handed in a transfer request on Monday.

Rovers have already rejected a £6.5m bid from QPR and Goal.com understands Rangers manager Mark Hughes will launch a new bid ‘within hours’.

Samba, 27, is believed to be prepared to go on strike to force a move away from Ewood Park as he fears the club will price him out of a switch this month.

QPR are ready to pay the Congo centre-back £60,000-a-week, a substantial improvement on the £50,000 weekly he earns at Blackburn, who paid £450,000 to sign him from Hertha Berlin five years ago.

Samba, who has also been strongly linked with Tottenham, revealed in an interview last week that he feels it is "time for a change" and followed that up by handing in an official transfer request on Monday.


Jumping ship | Samba has made clear that he wants to leave Ewood Park

"I have officially requested a transfer from Blackburn Rovers Football Club," Samba said. "I have personally informed the owners, manager and executives at the club that I want to leave in this transfer window.

"In my five years at Blackburn Rovers Football Club I have always given 100 per cent in every game I have played. I have had several opportunities to leave but I have always stayed.

"I have decided now is the right time for me to pursue a new challenge and I have asked the club to respect my decision and allow me to leave.

"I thank the fans for their support and I hope they feel I have served them and their club well."

Samba felt forced to go public with his desire to leave as Blackburn insisted he would not be sold in the January transfer window. Rovers are believed to be determined to reject any bids of less than £12m for a player considered key to their prospects of avoiding relegation this season.

Blackburn released a statement earlier this month claiming Samba would not be sold, a stance echoed by manager Steve Kean this week.

"He's not for sale, it's as simple as that," Kean told the Lancashire Telegraph. "He'll be back in again and hopefully ready for Everton [on Saturday]."

Follow Greg Stobart on

Related

From the web