The England skipper is under fire after allegedly being caught on video abusing the ex-striker's cousin Anton, and the 44-year-old believes an example must be made if it is true
QPR have decided to pursue claims that the England skipper racially abused defender Anton Ferdinand, cousin of Les, during Sunday's clash between the two Premier League teams.
“If John Terry has said something he needs to come out and say it. If he hasn't, let's get it sorted and out of the way,” the 44-year-old striker said to The Sun.
Footage released on the internet appears to show the Blues man insulting his opponent during QPR’s 1-0 victory, with the FA now probing the incident.
And the former Newcastle striker believes that an example must be made if the charges are upheld.
“I was asked to look at it on the internet and I've seen what's said — unfortunately you are not privy to the whole conversation,” he added.
“The FA, Fifa and Uefa have been in positions where they have been able to stamp out a few problems which have reared their ugly heads in the last few years and they haven't done so or they haven't done it diligently enough.
“When you look at the punishments dished out, it lets you know these people don't think there is a racist problem in football.
“They need to make a statement. That means bans instead of fines – that's the only way it's going to work.”
Former Chelsea player Paul Elliott, now a campaigner against racism, agrees that punishment must be harsh if the claims are proved.
“A man is innocent until proven guilty. But there must be zero tolerance if someone is found guilty, no matter who they are — even the Queen,” the ex-defender declared.
Terry maintains that he used the language in question in questioning a suggestion that he had been engaged in racial abuse, and has said that he “welcomes” the FA investigation.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.