thumbnail Hello,

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini insists Samir Nasri will be fit for Wigan Athletic clash despite broken finger

The Italian is confident the French international will be fine for Saturday's game, whilst also showing disappointment over the media spotlight on Mario Balotelli

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini believes Samir Nasri will be fit for this weekend’s clash with Wigan Athletic, despite breaking a bone in his hand during international duty.

The French star is still very much in contention to start the game at Eastlands on Saturday according to his manager and the midfielder will be hoping to build on his impressive debut during the 5-1 victory over Tottenham.

Gareth Barry, however, is doubtful and will face a late fitness test to see if he is able to feature in some capacity.

"For Nasri, it's not a problem because he's not a keeper," Mancini told reporters.

"Gareth has a little problem. I want to see tomorrow but it's difficult. Nigel [De Jong] can play and Micah [Richards] is okay."

Another Blues star making news on the international stage was Mario Balotelli, thanks to his alleged sideline antics of playing on his iPad whilst on the bench during Italy’s game against the Faroe Islands.  The incident is said to have caused trouble between the striker and coach Cesare Prandelli.

However, Manicni believes the media have been blowing such incidents out of proportion and is disappointed to see such a spotlight on his player.

"I'm disappointed because everything that Mario does becomes a big situation," he admitted.

"He played well for Italy on Tuesday, which is important, and it's important that tomorrow he can play.

"Mario is 21 years old. He can change in two months, three months or six months. I think that maybe the moment he changes his mind he changes everything."

Many were surprised to see the Italian bring in former Manchester United man Owen Hargreaves after a torrid few seasons for the midfielder, but after proving his fitness to the City manager, Mancini believes the 30-year-old can still be an asset to the club.

"It was a free transfer, he was without a team," Mancini said.

"We needed a midfielder and we thought that this could be a good opportunity for us because Hargreaves was a fantastic player.

"He had a big problem in the last two years and I hope he can recover well to be an important player for us.

"After three games we've had two midfielders injured [De Jong and Barry], which is a big problem, but I think that Hargreaves can play in maybe two or three weeks.

"If he's fit in two weeks I think he can play always. He's 30 years old, he's young. He was very unlucky in the last two years but if he can recover well, I don't think he'll have a big problem."

After tallying up maximum points from their three games so far this season, the former Inter Milan boss has been delighted to see how the team’s campaign has kicked-off so far, but insists there’s still a long way to go.

Mancini added: “I think that we started the season very well, because we played football very well, we won both times away, against Bolton and Tottenham, which is very difficult to win these games. But, the season is long and it’s important that we stared very well.”

The 46-year-old also agrees with the claim from his opposite number at Manchester United, Sir Alex Ferguson, that there are six possible candidates for the Premier League title this season.

“In my opinion, I agree with him [Ferguson],” he said.

“Because at this moment there’s City, [Manchester] United, Chelsea and Liverpool, but also Arsenal and Tottenham can arrive in the top in the next three or four weeks. Six teams can win the Premier League.”

Related

From the web