By Ben Hayward
Real Madrid have beaten Barcelona to the signing of Porto defender Danilo, Goal understands.
Carlo Ancelotti admitted recently he was keen on Danilo, and the Champions League holders have moved to tie up a deal for around €25 million [£17.6m], with the player set to pen a five-year contract.
Danilo, who was stretchered off in Porto's 4-0 win over Basel on Tuesday night, will compete with Dani Carvajal for the right-back spot at the Santiago Bernabeu next season, with Alvaro Arbeloa set to leave.
The 23-year-old was also a target for Barcelona as the Catalan club seek a long-term replacement for Brazil defender Dani Alves, while a number of top Premier League clubs, including Manchester United and Liverpool, were also credited with an interest.
Barca's transfer ban means they would not have been able to play Danilo until 2016 even if they had managed to sign the player this summer, and that uncertainty seems to have played a part in his decision.
"I like Danilo, but I like a lot of players in Europe," Ancelotti said last week. "We are not thinking of transfers at the moment."
However, Porto team-mate Jose Angel claimed last month that Danilo is ready to make the step up and join Madrid.
Meanwhile, former Barca midfielder Carles Rexach, now an advisor at the Catalan club, admitted earlier this week that Madrid were winning the battle to sign the right-back.
"I have been told that Danilo has been signed by Real," the 68-year-old told Esport 3 on Monday.