thumbnail Hello,

A considerable majority of 71.5 per cent of you believe Jose Mourinho and the Blues will regret allowing the young Belgian striker to join Everton on a permanent basis

Chelsea's decision to sell Romelu Lukaku to Everton for £28 million will come back to haunt them, according to Goal readers.

Only 28.5 per cent of you have backed the Blues' decision to let the striker join Roberto Martinez's side, with the remaining 71.5% of voters expecting the four-time English champions to regret the transfer.

Lukaku enjoyed two highly successful seasons on loan at West Brom and Everton since arriving in England in 2011 and convinced the Toffees to pay a club-record £28 million fee to make the switch permanent.

The Belgium international scored 16 goals in all competitions last season and his total of 32 in the Premier League over the previous two campaigns ranks behind only Luis Suarez and Robin van Persie.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, however, claims Lukaku, 21, was reluctant to return to Stamford Bridge if he was not going to be the club's first-choice striker after the signing of Diego Costa from Atletico Madrid.

The Portuguese coach also admitted he had Financial Fair Play rules to take into consideration, with large sums having been spent on Cesc Fabregas and Filipe Luis as well as Costa this summer.

Lukaku was Everton's third first-team signing of the summer following the arrivals of Gareth Barry and Muhamed Besic.

Poll of the day

Will Lukaku sale come back to haunt Chelsea?

Related

From the web