Maxime Gonalons says that he is committed to Olympique Lyonnais but suggested that a summer move to Napoli is still a distinct possibility.
The midfielder had looked likely to complete a move to the Partenopei this month, with his agent claiming that the player had already agreed terms, but Les Gones rejected a €17 million [£14.1m] offer.
Commenting after the collapse of his move to San Paolo, Gonalons admitted that he was keen to join Rafael Benitez's side but was not willing to destabilise his club after it was made clear that they did not want him to leave in January.
"Napoli's offer was very interesting and I certainly thought about it," the 24-year-old told reporters after Lyon's 2-0 win over Sochaux on Saturday.
"In football, what's true one day might not be the case on the next. I will continue to give my best for Lyon. I am the captain and I have to show the example. Today, I'm in Lyon. But tomorrow, no one know what will happen.
"When big clubs like Napoli come in for you, you ask yourself questions. There have been discussions and decisions have been taken. The President [Jean-Michel Aulas] closed the door despite a big offer from Napoli.
"He wouldn't let me go. I have to accept that - I didn't want to cause issues for the club."
Gonalons has scored 10 times in 177 games for Lyon and implied that, though he will give his all for the club for the remainder of the campaign, his future is far less certain.
"I will continue with Lyon until the end of the season," added the France international.
"I will give everything for the club and we'll see what happens next. I don't have regrets. In football, things can change quickly. It's up to me to do my job and look at offers in June."
Lyon sit ninth in Ligue 1 with 28 points from 20 games.