thumbnail Hello,

Pellegrini: Barry's future at Manchester City in his own hands

The 32-year-old, who is entering the final year of his current deal, could stay at the Etihad Stadium according to his manager but is free to leave in search of first-team action

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini insists Gareth Barry's future at the club is down to the player himself.

Goal revealed last week how the England international midfielder, who is in the last year of his current deal, fears a new contract is not forthcoming at the Etihad Stadium.

 MANCHESTER CITY LATEST
40/1 Manchester City are 40/1 to beat Cardiff City 4-0 on Sunday
Barry plans to speak with the club's director of football, Txiki Begiristain, before the end of the transfer window to clear up his future but, following City's 4-0 win over Newcastle, Pellegrini said the 32-year-old is in control of his own destiny.

"It depends on what he wants ... we have also Rodwell, Garcia, Fernandinho and they are here today," Pellegrini told reporters.

"But I spoke with Gareth, he wants to stay here. He doesn't have any problems to stay here. He will fight for his position as [with] any other player in the squad.

"If he wants to go because he has better options it depends on what he wants to do."

Barry has made 132 appearances for Manchester City since joining in 2009, scoring six goals.

Related

From the web