thumbnail Hello,

World Cup winner sticks to his word...

Brazil head coach Dunga has reaffirmed his intention to resign from his post after the nation crashed out of World Cup 2010 at the hands of the Netherlands.

The 46-year-old originally announced in December that he would leave the job upon the Samba Boys' elimination in South Africa. This was optimistically planned to follow the final on July 11, but Friday's 2-1 quarter-final defeat brings a slightly premature end to his four-year spell in charge.

Speaking to reporters, Dunga took the blame for the defeat and confirmed he would vacate his position.

"Without a shadow of a doubt, I am the coach of the Brazilian team, I have the greatest responsibility," Dunga, who won the World Cup as a player in 1994, said.

"We knew when I started that I would be here for four years. It's sad, it's difficult, nobody prepares to lose.

"Without doubt we all are very sad. We didn't expect that. We worked to have a better result. But we knew it was going to be a hard match. We had a good first half and it got worse in the second half.

"We could not maintain the same focus of the first half. Unfortunately, we didn't achieve our main goal but as you said, we got some good results during the past four years. I feel proud to have been the commander of this team, of these players."

Felipe Melo's sending off,
after they had already gone behind to Wesley Sneijder's header, made life even harder for the Selecao, but Dunga refused to criticise the Juventus man.

"Playing with 10 players in the World Cup is very difficult. We were saying at the break that the referee was being too pressurised. But it's not an excuse," he stated.

"I'm not going to hold Melo responsible. There were other players who received red cards in the World Cup and we win and lose matches together."

Our  provides the best breaking news online and our  football fan community is unmatched worldwide. Never miss a thing again!

Related