World Cup 2010: South Korea victory sees Argentina set new national record

4-1 win is eighth straight tournament game without defeat...
Argentina's 4-1 triumph over South Korea means that the team has set a national record of eight World Cup games without suffering defeat.

The run stretches back to 2002, when, despite being knocked out at the group stages, Marcelo Bielsa's team drew their last game 1-1 with Sweden after having suffered a 1-0 defeat to England. The team were then unbeaten in five matches in 2006, going out on penalties after a 1-1 draw with hosts Germany.

The previous best for the Albiceleste was back in 1986, when a Diego Maradona-inspired side took the World Cup without losing any of the seven games played in Mexico.

The modern side, now with Maradona at the helm as coach, has started the World Cup brightly and will now look to extend the unbeaten run to a magic total of 13 by reaching the World Cup final in Johannesburg, just under a month from now.

Their next game is against Greece, who enjoyed their own triumph on Thursday against Nigeria. But the Europeans have just a 14 per cent chance of emerging victorious against the Albicelestes, according to Castrol Football, who therefore give Maradona's side a 86 per cent chance of continuing their record streak to at least nine.

Our  provides the best breaking news online and our  football fan community is unmatched worldwide. Never miss a thing again!