Rangers 2-0 Clyde: McCulloch & Hutton help seal victory for the Third Division champions

The Ibrox side celebrate clinching the Third Division title with a simple victory over The Bully Wee as Lee McCulloch claims his 25th goal of the season along with Kyle Hutton
Second half goals from Lee McCulloch and Kyle Hutton helped Rangers secured a comfortable 2-0 over Third Division rivals Clyde.

With second place Queen’s Park falling to defeat at Berwick Rangers, the victory over Jim Duffy’s side saw the champions extend their advantage to an incredible 27 points.

Ally McCoist made only one change from the side that claimed a comfortable win a Hampden against Queen’s Park, with Andy Mitchell replacing Anestis Argyriou.

Clyde had two changes in their line-up from the side that defeated Berwick in their last game, with Sean Fitzharris and Kevin Watt dropping out, with Kieran McGachie and Marc McClusker taking their places.

The Third Division champions controlled the opening stages of the game, with both David Templeton and McCulloch having efforts towards Jamie Barclay’s goal, but on both occasions they failed to find the target.

On the half hour mark the Ibrox side should have went into the lead as Fraser Aird crossed into the box after Clyde had failed to clear his corner and the young midfielder found McCulloch at the back post, but he was denied by Barclay.

Lee Wallace was the next to have an effort for the home side, as he made a lung-bursting run from the halfway line, beating a couple of defenders, before trying a low shot from the edge of the area which Barclay had to get down to in order to divert away for a corner.

Just before the half-time whistle Templeton had another chance for the Ibrox side as he got his head onto a cross from Mitchell, but the former Hearts midfielder could only put his effort wide of the Clyde goal.

With nine minutes gone in the second period Rangers finally made their domination count, as Aird cut back to Templeton on the corner of the penalty box and he swung in a cross to McCulloch, who expertly slotted the ball into the back of the net.

The advantage should have been added to on the hour mark, as Luca Gasparotto , making his Rangers debut as a half-time substitute for Emilson Cribari got his head to a corner from Aird, but Barclay made a superb save to deny the Canadian youngster.

Both Templeton and McCulloch continued to link-up for the Third Division champions, but unfortunately for the versatile veteran he couldn’t find a way to put the Ibrox side two goals ahead.

With the game entering the closing stages, the home continued to exert their dominance, this time as Templeton found Ian Black, but the midfielder’s strike ended up going over the bar of Barclay’s goal.

The points were wrapped up with two minutes remaining as Templeton played in the onrushing Hutton, who beat one defender, before slotting the ball under the diving Barclay for the second of the game.

The champions continued to press forward in search of a third goal, but had to make do with a two-goal victory that sees them stretch their lead even further.