Stirling Albion 1-1 Rangers: Forsyth cancels out Little opener to hold McCoist's men

The Gers have a comfortable lead at the top of the Scottish Third Division but were held by the ninth-placed side after a second-half strike earned a point for the hosts
Rangers dropped points at Forthbank for the second time this season as Ross Forsyth’s second-half strike earned Stirling Albion a deserved 1-1 draw against the league leaders.

The Gers' lead at the top of the table is now 20 points, while Stirling Albion have now taken four points from the Ibrox club this term, two more than any other side in the division, and have extended their unbeaten streak to six games.

Andrew Little opened the scoring after 16 minutes; Dean Shiels’ pass through the defence sent Little one-on-one with David Crawford before the striker took it past the goalkeeper and slotted into the bottom corner for his 22nd goal of the season.

Ross Forsyth headed Albion level five minutes into the second half though, stealing in at the back post to fire past Neil Alexander from a Kieran McAnespie free kick.

The last time these teams met at Forthbank, Rangers suffered their only league defeat of the season – a 1-0 loss thanks to Brian Allison’s early goal.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist made two changes to the side that beat Berwick Rangers 3-1 on Saturday; Ross Perry and Barrie McKay making way for Emilson Cribari and Kal Naismith.

McCoist’s counterpart Greig McDonald likewise made a couple of alterations to his starting XI – Gary Thom and Graham Weir dropping out for club captain Allison and Josh Flood.

Binos top scorer Jordan White went close after quarter of an hour, heading over from a curling McAnespie free kick in Stirling’s first chance of the game.

Rangers looked to get a ball through the Albion back line to Little and after two failed attempts, Shiels played his Northern Irish compatriot through, Little skipping past Crawford and firing home.

Templeton almost made it two shortly after the opener but his lob from 14 yards out drifted over the bar.

Jamie Bishop had a great opportunity to level affairs on 20 minutes but the centre back headed wide from a McAnespie corner.

A quick Stirling counter attack ended with Phil Johnston firing a shot well over from distance after the winger had robbed Naismith of the ball on the left flank.

But Forsyth fired the hosts level shortly after the restart from one of several threatening set pieces sent in by McAnespie.

Templeton was a yard away from restoring Rangers’ lead but he bundled the ball wide from a few yards out after Little’s cut back.

Rangers nearly got their lead back in the 82nd minute but Stirling somehow managed to keep it level after a scramble in the box saw Little and Francisco Sandaza have efforts cleared off the line.

McAnespie had a free kick saved and saw another go over in the last few minutes before Crawford blocked Little’s point blank effort from six yards out deep into injury time as Rangers pushed on for a winner.