Clyde 1-4 Rangers: Little & Templeton fire doubles to continue title march

The Ibrox outfit strolled to victory in the Third Division as they maintained their 22-point lead over Queen's Park at the top of the league

Doubles from Andrew Little and David Templeton helped Rangers continue their charge towards the Scottish Third Division title, comfortably easing past Clyde 4-1 at Broadwood Stadium.

The Scottish giants stormed into a three-goal lead before half-time. Kevin Watt gave Clyde a glimmer of hope two minutes after the break, only for Templeton to add his second soon after to complete the rout.

The home side made two changes from the side that drew away to Berwick Rangers last Saturday, with Gavin Brown and Ryan McBeth coming in for Lee Sharp and Michael Oliver, while Ally McCoist kept confidence with the same line-up that fired four past Queen’s Park.

Rangers dominated the game early on and took the lead after just eight minutes when Dean Shiels raced down the right wing and Little who, from the middle of the Clyde penalty box, rifled the ball into the net.

The league leaders continued to press forward, with Templeton and Ian Black going close twice, but Jamie Barclay was impressive in the Bully Wee goal.

However, Rangers’ dominance did pay off eventually when Little once again got in behind the home defence to slot under the body of Barclay.

Clyde showed little invention up front, with their only chance coming through a John Sweeney free kick from the edge of the area, but Neil Alexander got down well to smother the ball with ease.

And just before the break Rangers claimed a third when Templeton received the ball on the left wing before cutting inside and unleashing a stunning 25-yard effort into the far top corner.

The home side did get back into the game just after the break as Stuart McColm robbed Barrie McKay and skipped down the left-hand side before whipping a cross for Watt to volley past Alexander.

But Rangers’ three-goal lead was restored soon after when Barclay parried Chris Hegarty header to allow Templeton the time to guide a controlled shot for his second and his side’s fourth.

The Ibrox side continued to control the reminder of the game, with Emilson Cribari, Kyle Hutton, Shiels and Templeton all going close but they failed to extend the league leader’s advantage.