Rangers 3-0 Elgin City: Hosts secure a comfortable Scottish Cup victory

The Third Division leaders cruise through to the fifth round of the Scottish Cup as goals from Dean Shiels, Kevin Kyle and Kal Naismith see Ally McCoist's outfit past Elgin City
Goals from Dean Shiels, Kevin Kyle and Kal Naismith gave Rangers a comfortable passage through to the fifth round of the Scottish Cup at the expense of Elgin City.

Ally McCoist stuck with the same side that hit East Stirling for six in their last league fixture two weeks ago, but the former Rangers striker was able to hand places on the bench to both Francisco Sandaza and David Templeton who had recovered from injury.

Elgin made only the one change from the same that thumped Stirling Albion in their previous league fixture, with Mark Nicolson starting in place of former Hearts defender Paul McMullan who missed out completely.

The home side thought they had taken the lead in the opening minutes, as Kyle got onto the end of a through ball and managed to slot it past John Gibson in the Elgin goal, but unfortunately for the strike his effort was ruled out for offside.

Ross Jack's side had a couple of forays forward, with both Nicolson and Craig Gunn having tame efforts which was easily dealt with by Neil Anderson in the Rangers goal.

McCoist’s men then started to pile the pressure on the visitors, with Shiels, Kyle, Ian Black and Barrie McKay all having efforts at Gibson’s goal, but none of them could seem to find a way past the on-loan Dundee stopper to give the Ibrox side the lead.

Two minutes before the break the home side finally went into the lead as Kyle knocked down a long ball to Shiels and the Northern Irish international twist and turned the Elgin defence, before firing the ball beyond Gibson for the opener.

Elgin started the second half much better and almost got an equaliser as Daniel Moore waltzed through the Rangers defence before finding Gunn on the right hand side of the area and his mishit shot ended up at the feet of Stuart Leslie, who somehow missed from close range.

However, Rangers regained their composure and once again were on the front foot, as they looked to their advantage, but unfortunately for the Ibrox side they could make anything of the final ball, with McKay, Shiels and Lee Wallace all wasting chances to get the second for the home side.

The Ibrox side did extend their lead as Kyle rose above the Elgin defence to meet a swinging corner that McKay put in from the left wing, which left Gibson with no chance and gave the Third Division leaders one foot in the next round.

Elgin refused to lie down and die after that goal as they had a superb effort to get back into the game as Sean Crighton got his head onto a corner from the right by Moore, but Alexander, who had been a spectator for the majority of the game made a point blank save.

The victory was sealed with less than five minutes remaining as substitute Naismith broke the visitors’ offside trap and slotted the ball home.