Rangers 2-0 Peterhead: McCulloch and Wallace help home side remain top

Gers continue their 100% record at Ibrox in the Third Division as goals in either half from Lee McCulloch and Lee Wallace see Ally McCoist’s side past the visitors
Goals from Lee McCulloch and Lee Wallace helped Rangers claim their fifth home league win this season against Peterhead.

The Ibrox side opened their Third Division campaign with an away draw to the North East side, but now find themselves clear at the top of the table.

Rangers boss Ally McCoist was forced into three changes, with Emilson Cribari, Ross Perry and Fraser Aird making way for Lee Wallace, Barrie McKay and Robbie Crawford from the team that handed Alloa a seven goal thumping in the Scottish Cup last week.

The visitors also rang the changes with Paul Jarvie, Graeme Sharp, Brian Deasley and Martin Bavidge all dropping out, replacing them was Mark McCallum, Jamie Redman, Dean Cowie and David Cox.

Peterhead had the better of the early chances with Rory McAllister having two efforts, firstly as the result of a slack pass from McCulloch, when he hit the bar and then a header from a Ryan Strachan cross, which he put over.

The Ibrox side then gained a foothold on the game, with Ian Black, Andy Little and Dean Shiels all having efforts on goal, but none of them could find a way past Mark McCullum in the Peterhead goal.

Jim McInally’s side almost took the lead when a free kick from Ross Smith on the left wing cannoned off the top of Neil Alexander’s bar and thankfully for the Rangers stopper the ball raced out for a throw in.

Minutes before half-time the home side finally took the lead as McCulloch hit a free kick from the edge of the area which was deflected for a corner and that allowed McKay to swing the ball in for his skipper to head home the opener.

They could have gone into the break two goals ahead as Little got onto the end of a ball through from Lewis MacLeod, but the Northern Irishman could only direct his strike wide of the Peterhead goal.

Rangers started the second half in the same vain as they finished the first, with McCulloch having two efforts blocked, before Shiels tried to get on the end of a cross from Little, but Strachan managed to get in the way and divert the ball for a corner.

The visitors could have got level as McAllister managed to get onto a cross from the right by Strachan, but his effort was well saved by Alexander in the Rangers goal.

But the Ibrox side managed to extend their lead as Black slid in a free kick from the left hand side to Wallace inside the box and the defender rifled the ball past McCallum to double the home side’s advantage.

Rangers continued to push forward, with Wallace finding Shiels, but once again the striker could not find a way past McCallum to get a third for the home side.

McCoist’s side continued to control the rest of the game as they comfortably maintained their 100% home record in the league.