Rangers 4-1 Montrose: McCoist’s side strike four to maintain impressive home league form

After suffering their first home defeat at the hands of Queen of the South in the League Challenge Cup, Rangers rebound with a comfortably victory over Montrose
Rangers boss Ally McCoist found some of the pressure eased off him after the midweek cup exit as goals from Dean Shiels, Lewis MacLeod, Lee McCulloch and Robbie Crawford handed the Ibrox side all three points.

The victory for the Glasgow outfit continued their excellent home form in the Third Division, but the defensive faults were still there as Garry Wood got a first half goal for the Links Park outfit.

Rangers made only one change from the side that suffered a penalty shoot-out defeat to Queen of the South in the League Challenge Cup on Tuesday, with Francisco Sandaza making way for French youngster Sebastian Faure.

The visitors had three chances within the first five minutes, but Leighton McIntosh, David Gray nor Garry Wood could find a way past Neil Alexander to give the Gable Endies the lead.

Eventually Rangers got back on the front foot and after having a few chances they took the lead as McCulloch headed a long ball into the path of Shiels and he raced by two Montrose defenders and placed the ball beyond David Crawford in the visitors’ goal.

That lead didn’t last long as once again the Rangers defensive frailties were exposed as Wood managed to get clear in order to head a Paul Lunan free kick from the right wing past Alexander for the equaliser.

Rangers continued to pressure going forward for the reminder of the first half with McCulloch being the focal point of the home side’s attack but they couldn’t find a way past Crawford to take the lead again.

McCoist’s side had a great chance to take the lead just after the break as Barrie McKay got onto a lofted McCulloch cross from the left, but unfortunately for the Rangers youngster his close range strike went just wide of Crawford’s right hand post.

The Ibrox men finally got the lead as MacLeod received the ball from Faure on the right wing and played it past Crawford from the right hand side of the area to give him his first goal in a Rangers jersey.

Rangers added to their lead minutes later as MacLeod raced into the ball and looked to have been tripped, but referee Stephen Finnie allowed the advantage to be played and that meant that McCulloch could slot the ball home for the home side’s third.

With less than ten minutes left Rangers got a fourth of the game as Lee Wallace made a darting run down the left wing and put a pinpoint cross for young substitute Crawford to fire home his first goal for the club.

Rangers saw out the reminder of the game comfortably as they prepare for a cup double with SPL leaders Motherwell visiting Ibrox in the League Cup on Wednesday before McCoist’s men travel north to meet Highland League outfit Forres Mechanics in the Scottish Cup on Saturday.