thumbnail Hello,

The Real Madrid forward is now favourite to lift the award in light of his recent form and the extension of the prize's voting deadline - but says he might not even turn up

Cristiano Ronaldo has insisted that he is not concerned about winning a second Ballon d'Or, and claimed that he may not even go to the ceremony.

The Real Madrid forward scored his fifth hat-trick of the season on Tuesday as Portugal beat Sweden 3-2 (4-2 on aggregate) to clinch their place at World Cup 2014.

After scoring the only goal in the first leg, and with Fifa's decision to extend the voting, he is now considered favourite by many to be named the best footballer of 2013.

But he told Cadena Cope: "I'm not thinking about the Ballon d'Or that much. I still don't know if I will go or not - things don't depend on just me. I'm not obsessed over it."

Having been asked by a child if he would win the prize, announced on January 13, he replied: "If I do, I'll invite you all to the party."

The former Manchester United forward lifted the award in 2008 after winning the Champions League with the Red Devils, but has seen Messi triumph in the past four years.

On Wednesday, Fifa extended the deadline for votes to November 29 - and allowed those who had already decided to change their mind - due to a "low turnout" in the initial round of voting.

Related

From the web