The Chelsea winger and Liverpool stalwart have forced their way into the Italian's plans at the eleventh hour, after long-term injuries and international retirement respectively had previously ruled them out from inclusion.
- Meet The England Squad: Fabio Capello's provisional 30 for World Cup 2010
- Top 10 unluckiest absentees from Fabio Capello's provisional England World Cup squad
- England Comment: Joe Cole - a luxury for his club but a necessity for his country
Strikers Bobby Zamora and Carlton Cole have failed to make the first cut for the plane to South Africa, but Sunderland's Darren Bent will get a chance to impress Capello's coaching staff as one of five strikers selected as the squad heads to Austria for a training camp.
Meanwhile in defence there was good news for Tottenham Hotspur pair Ledley King and Michael Dawson, who are both involved along with West Ham United's Matthew Upson. Dawson and Manchester City's Adam Johnson are the only two uncapped players involved in the squad.
Manchester United veteran Gary Neville has been overlooked, while there is also no place for Everton's Phil Jagielka — who will have to look on from a distance as club team-mate Leighton Baines competes with Aston Villa's Stephen Warnock to be left-back Ashley Cole's understudy at the summer tournament.
That position is likely to see one of the seven cuts that Capello will have to make before he announces his final 23-man squad on June 1.
- Debate: Goal.com UK team pick their final England Word Cup squad
- England Comment: Why Jamie Carragher's World Cup U-turn is no great surprise
- England Debate: Who will be Fabio Capello's Theo Walcott for 2010 World Cup?
- Fabio Capello refuses to guarantee Jamie Carragher a World Cup 2010 place as he explains England squad selection
England's provisional squad list:
Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), David James (Portsmouth), Robert Green (West Ham United).
Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Jamie Carragher (Liverpool), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Michael Dawson (Tottenham Hotspur), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ledley King (Tottenham), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Stephen Warnock (Aston Villa).
Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Tom Huddlestone (Tottenham), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham), James Milner (Aston Villa), Scott Parker (West Ham), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City).
Forwards: Darren Bent (Sunderland), Peter Crouch (Tottenham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United).
Become a fan of Goal.com UK's Facebook fan page for all the latest news and insight into everything related to the beautiful game!