thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 22 October 2011
  • • 12:45
  • • Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, West Midlands
  • Referee: M. Oliver
  • • Attendance: 25216

Wolves 2-2 Swansea City: Doyle & O'Hara lead unlikely late comeback to save hosts from sixth straight league defeat

Wolves 2-2 Swansea City: Doyle & O'Hara lead unlikely late comeback to save hosts from sixth straight league defeat

Getty Images

Swans throw away victory as they fail to repel late surge from home side to relieve pressure on manager Mick McCarthy and end the club's worst league run in 27 years

Wolves fought back from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Swansea City and end a run of five consecutive Premier League defeats on Saturday.

First-half goals from Danny Graham and the outstanding Joe Allen cranked up the pressure on Wolves boss Mick McCarthy and led to calls for his head from the crowd. A dramatic fight back in the last 10-minutes saw Kevin Doyle and Jamie O'Hara stun the Swans and breathe life back into the hosts' season.

With five defeats on the spin in mind, McCarthy made one change from the side that fell 2-0 to West Bromwich Albion last time out, with striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake drafted in for Nenad Milijas as the hosts reverted to an attacking 4-4-2 in the absence of top scorer Steven Fletcher.

Opposite number Brendan Rodgers also made one change to the side that lost 3-1 to Norwich City last weekend as Mark Gower replaced Wayne Routledge. Greece international Vangelis Moras was available to make his debut off the substitute's bench.

In the first minute, Karl Henry sought to discover if Swansea goalkeeper Michael Vorm reflexes had survived the early kick-off with a stinging pile-driver from 30-yards that was pushed to safety in unconvincing fashion.

Impressive Swansea midfielder Allen probed the Wolves defence whenever he got his foot on the ball in the early stages. In the eighth minute, his more industrial shot from distance was pushed over the crossbar by Wales international colleague Wayne Hennessey as the visitors forced a series of corners.

Swansea's midfield trio continued to pass around their opponents with impunity. The ease with which the visitors dominated possession led an exasperated McCarthy to urge his troops forward.

The extra bite and verve was nearly rewarded with a goal after 20 minutes as the ball was lost by Swansea 30-yards from their goal. First, Matt Jarvis was denied inside the box by Angel Rangel's last-ditch slide tackle, before some expert juggling of the ball by O'Hara led to Vorm pushing away a half-volley from 12-yards.

This lesson was quickly forgotten, however, as Gower was given all the time in the world to loft a delicate pass over the top of the Wolves' defence to set up Graham with a chance he couldn't miss in the 24th minute. The ex-Watford striker was given all the time in the world to slot home from six yards as the lumbering Roger Johnson watched from the turf.

In a throwback to the events at Molineux last time out, the home support screamed for a penalty in the 31st minute as Gary Monk appeared to foul Jarvis in the box. This time, however, referee Michael Oliver was correct to point for a free-kick as the contact was made outside the area unlike against Newcastle United.

This frustration grew in the 35th minute as Swansea effortlessly cut threw to double their advantage through Allen. A long-ball from the back from Rangel saw Graham leave O'Hara in his wake, and the striker squared for his teammate to side-foot home from point blank range.

        Comeback Kid | Jamie O'Hara completes late Wolves turnaround against Swansea City

The same script from the first half repeated as the teams got under way after the interval. In the 47th minute, Nathan Dyer twisted past Stephen Ward and slid a ball across that was stolen off Gower's toe by the diligent Henry.

With the Wolves crowd audibly mumbling their discontent, the side's brightest moment on the pitch came on 50 minutes as the ball fell to Ebanks-Blake's feet. With his back to goal, five yards from Vorm's net, the ex-Manchester United trainee was unable to work some space and the chance was snubbed out by Monk and the dominant Ashley Williams.

Despite the prospect of a sixth successive league defeat - the club's worst run in 27 years - the Wolves' support had quietly backed McCarthy. This was to change in the 68th minute as the boss showed plenty of Yorkshire grit to remove wide men Jarvis and Adam Hammill for centre midfielders Nenad Milijas and Adlene Guedioura to howls of derision from the stands.

The changes hardly had the desired effect as Swansea continued to be the more threatening team. In the 81st minute, Sinclair burst down the left and his cross was deflected into Gower's path, however, Hennessey dove at his feet to deny him a second.

When all looked lost, McCarthy looked to his bench and threw on striker Sam Vokes. This decision was rewarded immediately as the Welshman turned and shot from a corner, with his effort falling to Doyle to slot home from close range and breathe wind into Wolves' sails in the 84th minute.

The hosts were now filled with belief and an unlikely leveller came two minutes later. With Swansea now on the ropes, Doyle charged down the left and his centre found O'Hara in acres of space to fire into the roof of Vorm's net.

Follow the Premier League LIVE on
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Live Scores!