thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • 4 December 2010
  • • 15:00
  • • The DW Stadium, Wigan
  • Referee: M. Jones
  • • Attendance: 15100

Wigan Athletic 2-2 Stoke City: Four goals in first half but struggling Latics have to settle for a point

Wigan Athletic 2-2 Stoke City: Four goals in first half but struggling Latics have to settle for a point

Frantic first period settles game

All four goals were scored in the first period in an entertaining draw at the DW Stadium between Wigan and Stoke City in a game the struggling home side really need all three points from.

The first half started under a burst of rain and four minutes in referee Michael Jones carded Latics forward Mauro Bosselli for a handball as the striker, thinking he was fouled by Collins, picked up the ball and played a free-kick.

Wigan applied pressure on the visiting team and tried to box them in to score.  Diame played Bosselli through but he was offside.

Stoke woke up and tried their first offensive with Jon Walters wnining a corner off Ben Watson. Matthew Etherington's delivery was header clear by Gouhouri but the ball was back in play as Robert Huth passed the ball to Ricardo Fuller in the blindside of Wigan’s defence, whose shot was blocked by Ali Al Habsi.

The Potters were then given a free-kick 25-yards out which Huth smashed towards goal, the ball taking a deflecting off Thomas and wrong-footing Al Habsi in the net.

Wigan regained possession and N'Zogbia earned a free-kick on the touchline from which Watson found the head of Gouhouri. The defender’s header was two yards wide as Begovic went the other way.

The Frenchman then ghosted past two defenders and drew a foul, with Watson stepping up to take the resulting free-kick. The former Crystal Palace midfielder whipped in a shot on goal which Danny Collins managed to turn past his own keeper.

Stoke immediately responded as Jones brilliantly escaped Figueroa, paused and passed the ball to Fuller inside the box. The Jamaican tried to feed Walters it fell to Etherington who slid the ball past Al Habsi to take the Potters back into the lead.

With only ten minutes left on the first half clock, Begovic saved a stunning 25-yard shot from Figueroa. Thomas tried to get his side back into it but dragged his shot wide.

Begovic received a yellow card before N’Zogbia released Cleverley inside the box. The on-loan Manchester United man cut inside Huth and fired the ball which deflected off Higginbottom for another equaliser.

Referee Jones brought an exciting half to an end after three minutes injury time.

Stoked | Potters celebrate Etherington's goal

Early in the second half Cleverley crossed to Boselli but the ball was cleared. Figueroa also fed the Wigan forward who turned and shot on the angle but Begovic pounced on the rebound.

Walters then crossed to Jones who tried a diving header but Al Habsi blocked the ball on the line with his left hand.

Whelen then came in for Walters and Wigan coach Martinez introduced Stam for Figueroa and Tuncay for Fuller

Seven minutes were left on the clock when N’Zogbia almost scored after he fired a stunning strike that beat Begovic but  crashed off the far post.

After three minutes added time the whistle blew to a 2-2 draw at the DW stadium

Follow the Premier League LIVE on
Commentaries, Stats, Player Ratings and much more,
Visit Live Scores!