The Magpies have been in superb form in recent weeks but face a tough task against a Lactics side looking for a crucial home win to stay out of the relegation zone
Alcaraz, Boyce, Caldwell
Figueroa, McArthur, McCarthy, Beausejour
Maloney, Di Santo, Moses
Simpson, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon
Gutierrez, Tiote, Cabaye
Ben Arfa, Cisse, Ba
Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is unlikely to make too many changes from the team that narrowly lost 2-1 away to Fulham and could stick with the same defensive players but could make a change further forward.
Former Aston Villa man Shaun Maloney could be pushing for a recall and may take the place of Jordi Gomez. Up front, Franco Di Santo is looking to shake off a calf injury while Hugo Rodallega (knee) has been out for over a month. Former Almeria winger Albert Crusat remains on the sidelines with a calf problem.
Alan Pardew is likely to name the same side that beat Stoke City 3-0 last time out. This will mean Hatem Ben Arfa and Demba Ba will again play either side of the in-form Papiss Cisse. Yohan Cabaye limped off against the Potters with an ankle knock but is expected to feature.
Former Manchester United winger Gabriel Obertan could come back into the squad. Long-term injury absentees Sylvain Marveaux (groin), Steven Taylor (achilles) and Peter Lovenkrands (knee) remain sidelined.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wigan Athletic have won four of their last six matches including wins against Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal. They had four victories from their previous 29 matches in the league before this recent run.
- Three Wigan players have featured in all of their 35 league matches so far: Ali Al-Habsi (pictured right), Maynor Figueroa and Victor Moses.
- Franco Di Santo and Jordi Gomez are the Lactics' joint top scorers in the league so far this campaign with five goals each.
- The home side have won four of their five home matches against the Magpies in the Premier League.
- Newcastle won the reverse fixture earlier in the season, securing a narrow 1-0 win, with Yohan Cabaye scoring the goal.
- The Magpies have scored in 17 of their last 18 league games. The game in this run where they failed to find the back of the net was a 5-0 loss away to Tottenham.
- Newcastle have previously finished in the top four on five occasions in their 17 seasons in the Premier League.
- Papiss Cisse has netted an impressive 11 goals in 10 league appearances since joining the club from SC Freiburg in January. The striker is 4/1 to be the first goalscorer in the game with Paddy Power.