The Red Devils start their league campaign against Roy Hodgson's men, who conceded the most number of goals by any team in the Premier League last season but still finished 11th
WEST BROM (4-5-1)
Jara, Tamas, Olsson, Shorey;
Brunt, Mulumbu, Scharner, Dorrans, Tchoyi
MANCHESTER UNITED (4-4-2)
Smalling, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra
Young, Anderson, Cleverley, Nani
Zoltan Gera is suspended for three matches and will not take any part in this fixture. Peter Odemwingie is doubtful as he is recovering from an ankle injury suffered during pre-season. New signing Shane Long could be in line for a start if the Nigerian does not make it in time. Steven Reid (calf) and Gareth McAuley (illness) remain doubtful for this game.
Sir Alex Ferguson will miss Darren Fletcher through illness, Javier Hernandez (concussion) and Antonio Valencia (ankle). Michael Carrick and Patrice Evra are still doubtful of making it in time for the game at the Hawthorns.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- West Bromwich Albion have never won their opening fixture in the Premier League so far. In five curtain raisers, they have managed only two draws, and have lost on three other occasions.
- The Baggies conceded 71 goals in the league last season. That was the most number of goals shipped in by any side in the top-flight.
- In the 55 league games that have taken place between these two sides at West Brom, the hosts have won 18 time, while the Red Devils have triumphed on 26 occasions. The remaining 11 have ended in draws.
- But recent history strongly favours Manchester United, as Sir Alex Ferguson are unbeaten in their last 10 league games against these opponents.
- The Old Trafford club scored 78 goals last season, more than any other team in the Premier League.
- They are currently the club with the most number of league titles (19) to their name, having surpassed Liverpool (18) by winning the top-flight last season.
- Dimitar Berbatov scored 20 goals last season, and shared the golden boot with Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez.