The newly promoted team have yet to find the back of the net in the top flight this season, and face opponents who are likely to hand a full debut to an inexperienced centre-back
Richards, Rangel, Williams, Taylor
Gower, Dyer, Britton, Routledge
Reid, Olsson, Dawson, Shorey
Morrison, Dorrans, Scharner, Thomas
Chris Brunt and Zoltan Gera are approaching full fitness for the visitors, but they are highly unlikely to be rushed back from injury and risked in this game, while Gabriel Tamas is suspended for three matches after elbowing James Vaughan against Norwich, with Craig Dawson expected to deputise and make his Premier League debut.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Swansea City have only scored one goal this season in all competitions, and that was an own goal by Shrewsbury Town’s Shane Cansdell-Sherriff in the first round of the League Cup, which the Swans lost 3-1.
- If Swansea fail to score, they will become the first side in the history of the Premier League to fail to find the net in their first five games, and will become the first side to fail to score in their first five games in the top flight since Ipswich in the 1970-71 season.
- The current defensive problems that are troubling the Swans were compounded by Fifa on Thursday, who refused to give them international clearance on the deadline day signings of Darnel Situ and Rafik Halliche after delays in the processing of the two transfers.
- Swansea’s Craig Beattie (pictured right) is the only player from both squads to have played for both teams, having spent two-years at The Hawthorns and scoring four goals in 31 appearances.
- These two teams last played each other in the league in the 2009-10 Championship season, with Swansea winning 1-0 at The Hawthorns and West Brom winning the return fixture 2-0 at the Liberty Stadium.
- Of the last 24 league meetings between these two sides, both teams have nine victories apiece.
- These teams famously played each other in the 1992-93 Third Division play-offs, where the Baggies won 3-2 on aggregate before going on to defeat Port Vale 3-0 in the final at Wembley Stadium, their first appearance at the national stadium for over 20 years.
- West Brom have struggled to keep a clean sheet under manager Roy Hodgson since he took charge in February 2011, with their 1-0 win over Norwich City their first in 20 matches away from home.
- Before he committed himself to the Nigerian national team, West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie was eligible to play for Russia or Uzbekistan, having been born in Uzbek capital Tashkent and being raised in Russia.
- After his red card against Norwich City for elbowing Canaries striker Vaughan, Baggies defender Tamas was charged with violent conduct after leaving the young striker requiring plastic surgery, and has been banned for three matches.